Last Updated November 3rd, 2022
The world of diet is constantly changing with new concepts coming up at regular intervals. The Shepherd’s diet is a Christian-based diet program that has been promoted by Kristina Wilds through a diet book. The diet is a biblically-inspired weight loss plan depending on the right choices of food and nutrition. It is similar to other low-carb, high-fat, and moderate-protein programs like the keto diet. The diet proposes a solution for the problem of obesity that is prevalent all around the world. There is also a lot of lifestyle-related diseases that are affecting humanity in various ways. A balanced diet can be a solution to these various problems and be the right step towards maintaining a healthy body. The Shepherd’s diet is based on a holistic way of eating from the aspects of mind, body, and spirit.
The diet is based on items that can be easily cooked at home and are also a budget-friendly choice. At the same time, it is founded on Christian values that include avoiding sins like greed which can lead to excess eating, and sloth that can lead to laziness. The Shepherds’ diet is not only good for the body but it is also said to have a positive effect on the mind. It balances the various aspects of the mind and calms it down, which has a beneficial effect on overall health. The diet also makes one feel more energetic and makes the internal organs function in a more efficient manner. The entire program is available online and the method also balances eating with the right level of exercise. This helps in raising the overall metabolic rate and promotes weight loss. The diet is sold by a company called ClickBank and it even comes with a 60-day money-back warranty.
The components of the diet
The program is provided in an e-book format that needs to be downloaded. It consists of the following segments.
The Shepherd’s Diet Book
This book offers the overall plan and guidance about the diet and highlights the steps that can be used to lose weight effectively. It advises users to avoid toxins and GMOs and also mentions some healthy fats that can be consumed for better health.
The What Would Jesus Eat Field Guide
This guide points out the food items that can be chosen as a part of this diet. The concept is based on providing the users with the idea of what Jesus himself would have chosen from a grocery shop for his own diet. It also provides ideas for some cost-efficient foods that can yield good results in terms of weight loss.
The Moses Secret Fat Loss Protocol
This book highlights a few effective tips that help in the quick loss of fat and fast weight loss. It stresses pain-free weight loss techniques which do not have any side effects. The plans listed can also boost the overall immunity and are also said to help the user grow in spiritual life.
Prayer Warrior Anti-Stress Guide
Stress is one of the major causes that lead to weight gain and this book focuses on the ways that will allow one to lead a stress-free life. The calm and positive state will also help in maintaining a steady metabolic rate throughout the diet.
Fat Burning Furnace Nutrients Support
The last book is an addition that mentions some of the additional food items that can be included in the diet in the long run. It also provides ideas to maximize fat loss and maintain a healthy weight.
The details of the Shepherd’s diet
The diet has three main steps which lay stress on home-cooked food items and advise that the users need to avoid processed foods as much as possible. The concept is similar to other forms of ketogenic diet plans which focus on the consumption of various types of healthy fats. The following types of food are allowed on the shepherd’s diet.
- Beans and legumes.
- Nuts and seeds.
- Whole grains.
- Almost all kinds of vegetables.
- Meat such as beef and fish are allowed if they are seared or grilled.
- Wild game animals can be consumed as they contain healthier or lower amounts of fat than farm-grown animals. The list of wild game animals includes elk, bison, chicken, rabbit, and turkey.
The foods that are avoided in the diet include the following.
- All types of dairy products including milk and cheese.
- Sugars are to be avoided as best as possible.
- Meats that are not mentioned in the food list.
- Starches are to be avoided until the third phase.
- Alcohol and cigarettes.
- All processed foods.
The three main steps of the diet are listed below.
- The first phase lasts for 14 days and it deals with steps to avoid sugars, grains, purified flours, and starchy veggies.
- In Phase 2, apart from the same restrictions, some spiritual practice is added. This stage also lasts for 14 days.
- Phase 3 is an ongoing stage that continues while delivering the goals. Apart from applying the limitations of Phase 2, it includes the consumption of starchy vegetables and grains.
The diet promotes a limited consumption of carbohydrates which can cause weight loss as they promote water retention in the body. The healthy foods mentioned in the diet can keep the body fit and consuming small meals several times a day can enhance weight loss. It also outlines some effective methods including biblical cooking hacks that can help one to cook healthy meals. The diet also trashes the idea of eating less to reduce weight. In addition, it provides tips for self-control to avoid overeating and these include easy-to-do things like waiting twenty minutes before satiety is reached and then starting eating again. This is based on the psychological aspect of feeling satisfied after eating and it is related to the action of the hypothalamus gland which supervises this aspect. The gland effectively records what we eat but fails to record when the food is consumed too fast.
Persistent hunger is a major issue that often makes it difficult in sticking to a diet plan. By eating slowly and chewing the food properly, the total amount of food consumed can be reduced effectively. This will also help in achieving weight loss goals in the long run. There is also the idea of short-term, time-controlled fasting that can provide good health benefits. Another aspect of the diet is the need to have faith in God and rely on his guidance to let the diet work effectively. This type of philosophy may not be suitable for all the users and hence this diet may not be the ideal choice for everyone.
The pros and cons of Shepherd’s diet
Since the diet is quite similar to many other diet plans that promote the consumption of lean meats, veggies, healthy fats, and whole foods, it also packs the benefits of these diets. At the same time, there has been no research that has been conducted on Shepherd’s diet and hence its proclaimed benefits do not have any scientific basis. Some of the major pros and cons of the diet are listed below.
- The diet is enjoyable as it does not promote tasteless food and restricted eating. So, it is a good choice for those who do not want to give up the joys of eating while on a diet. Many diet plans mark certain food items as “forbidden” and hence there can be a sense of discomfort while consuming these items. This diet does not come with such a problem and does not have extreme food limitations. You will be able to enjoy most of the daily foods while following this diet. However, if you are fond of sugary drinks, fried foods, alcohol, and junk foods, you will need to give them up.
- Diet promotes a safe way of losing weight without drastic measures. This makes it free from side effects and holistic in approach. It also puts importance on working with the body and mind rather than struggling against them. It is a diet that focuses on the overall well-being of an individual. The diet also helps to lose fat without losing muscle mass.
- Since this diet puts stress on the consumption of legumes and vegetables, it is an extremely healthy choice. These food items are rich in nutrients and natural fibre that are essential for the body. These are also rich in antioxidants and can provide protection from diseases like cancer, obesity, diabetes, and various cardiovascular problems. You will also get brighter and healthier skin from this diet.
- The diet can also regulate the blood sugar levels effectively and this can result in high energy levels, fatigue elimination, and effective weight loss. This can also result in a positive mood for the user. On the whole, this diet can be a good choice for patients with diabetes if recommended by the doctor.
- Most of the food items listed in the diet are easy to find in any supermarket and the cooking processes also take less time. This makes it a good choice for users who have a busy lifestyle and does not have much time for cooking.
- The diet comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee that makes it an ideal choice for those who are not confident about its effectiveness.
As no diet can be perfect for everyone, there are a few drawbacks associated with the shepherd’s diet which need to be taken into account.
- Each individual has a unique biochemical structure based on various factors. Since Shepherd’s diet has no scientific basis, there is no guarantee that it will work effectively for everyone. Each individual’s response to the diet plan can be different.
- The diet needs some amount of investment as some of the food items that are listed can be pricey. Some users may not be inclined to accept the cost factor associated with the new diet.
- Since the diet advocates the consumption of lean meat from healthy sources, it is not an ideal choice for vegans.
- Fasting may not be the ideal choice for those who suffer from some ailments and have never done it before. For patients, it is necessary to consult with the doctor before attempting to fast. Keep in mind that short-time fasting can also lead to dizziness and light-headedness in some cases.
- The diet also involves a lot of reading which can be an issue for those who are busy in a fast-paced life.
The spiritual aspect of Shepherd’s diet
The spiritual aspects of the diet plan based on the Bible make it unique among all the other diet plans in the market. It mentions that healthy eating is an integral part of spiritual life and spiritually motivated individuals can also follow a diet plan more effectively. It highlights that the diet eaten by Jesus as mentioned in the Bible is the best choice to stay healthy. Another aspect of the diet is short-term fasting, which is a part of the Moses Secret Protocol. The physical advantages of fasting are now a proven fact and it was also a part of the Christian faith. So, combining the scientific and the spiritual elements of healthy eating is one speciality of this diet. It also puts importance on consuming foods that are affordable and advises against gluttony. This makes it a good choice to prevent overeating which can affect weight loss in an adverse manner.
There is no absolute diet plan that can fulfil the requirements of all individuals. The Shepherd’s diet has its own share of disadvantages while offering quite a few effective weight loss measures. While it can be a good option for Christians and for those who enjoy spiritual guidance, it is not a diet that is backed by scientific evidence. At the same time, meditation and fasting can have a positive effect on the entire system and can be tried by those who are interested. For anyone who is not keen on the use of faith for losing weight, there are other wholesome diet plans that can be followed. Before making any major alteration in your diet, it is always best to consult a dietician who can advise on what is best for you.
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas