Last Updated July 12th, 2020
What is Jogging?
Jogging is a form of Aerobic Endurance training which includes running at a slow pace. Jogging is slower than running and faster than normal walk. Jogging helps in increasing physical fitness. Jogging is performed over longer distances at a very steady speed or a gentle pace. Jogging can be defined as jogging slower than 6 miles per hour.
Another basic difference between running and jogging is that running requires your legs in no contact with the ground for some moments whereas, in the case of jogging, the contact between your legs and the ground is sustained for a little longer than that in running.
What are the types of jogging exercises?
The different types of joggings are as follows:
Incline Jogging on a treadmill
Jogging on an inclined surface whether it is outside on a hill or in the gym can be very helpful for burning calories. Jogging on an inclined surface also helps in increasing the strength of the muscles. You have to push against your body weight which acts as resistance while moving forward on an inclined surface. Hence, the leg muscles get strengthened.
Mile repeats at Tempo pace
This jogging exercise will help you to build your physical fitness and will boost your jogging fitness. It includes breaking your tempo pace of jogging after each mile. It is considered as a great strategy since it helps in lasting longer in the exercise. This is such a strategic way of regulating your jogging since it involves jogging for a particular distance after every interval and hence helps in keeping the distance measured.
Interval jogging on the treadmill
Start with a warm-up for 5 minutes in 0 inclination and then increase the inclination 5% and keep the same pace and then increase the inclination a little more after some interval. This whole procedure of performing the jogging at a particular interval by increasing the percentage of inclination is considered as the interval jogging on the treadmill.
How will I feel while jogging?
A lot of effort is needed for jogging since it requires you to stay in motion at a faster pace than the pace of walking. Your heartbeat rate gets elevated and you can hardly even speak a word while you are in motion. The effort which is required for jogging completely depends on the level of fitness and physical strength.
What are the benefits of jogging?
There are several benefits of jogging. Some of the most common benefits of jogging are as follows:
- Jogging is very essential for the development of strong bones.
- It is a weight-bearing exercise and hence is very helpful in building muscle strength.
- The cardiovascular condition is also regulated highly by performing jogging. The heart rate stays balanced by jogging every day.
- Jogging helps in burning a lot of calories and hence is also a help for weight loss.
- Physical endurance is highly improved via performing jogging.
- It improves the blood flow through the veins in your body
- Jogging also helps in cutting down on bad cholesterol i.e. the LDL(Low-Density Lipoprotein). The blow blood cholesterol can be maintained by performing jogging every day.
- Jogging is even helpful for stress relief
- Lung capacity is increased and it also helps in preventing various lung and respiratory diseases.
- Jogging helps in fighting depression and anxiety.
- Diabetes can be fought as well as prevented if jogging is performed regularly.
What are the side effects of jogging every day?
Besides all the pros of jogging, there are certain cons to it too. Some of the most common cons of jogging are as follows:
- Damaged weight-bearing bones: The weight-bearing bones, especially the joints of the legs experience 4 times more pressure on them while running than when at rest. This is a very common side effect of jogging every day. It can cause a lot of damage to the people who already have medical issues regarding their bones and joints. The people who are obese, overweight or the people who are suffering from joint alignment issues are in more danger of damaging their bones and joints if they jog regularly. These individuals might use special treadmills which are made to reduce the pressure on the joints and hence reduces the risk of damaging the weight-bearing joints.
- The risk of heart attack is increased: You have a history of any diseases or problems regarding your heart, jogging can increase the chances of getting a cardiac arrest or a heart attack. While jogging, the demand for blood supply is the heart becomes more. If your heart has clogged or hardened arteries due to your past heart problems, then there is a high chance of getting a heart attack. In the case of the individuals who already had suffered from any heart diseases, it is suggested to consult your cardiologist before starting a new routine for jogging.
- Breast sagging might occur in women: It is always suggested for women to wear a sports bra while jogging since jogging might result in an irreversible sagging of the breasts of the women.
- Increased risk of skin cancer: Unlike the joggers who prefer the treadmill, there are joggers who love to engage in outdoor physical activity. The individuals who engage in more outdoor physical activities are more exposed to sunlight and that increases the chances of getting various types of cancers. Protective clothing and using sun guards or sunblocks can be very helpful for the prevention of any kinds of cancer.
What are the types of jogging that should be preferred by beginners?
Beginners who just started jogging should especially prefer performing the following types of jogging initially.
Running short distances at a slower pace is called recovery run which is highly helpful in maintaining the physical fitness of an individual. Recovery run helps in maintaining the body in a steady motion as well as provides proper rest at particular intervals. Run recovery jogging is usually performed after a long run day.
The base run includes jogging at a very regular pace with which you are very familiar with. The base run helps in increasing the endurance of an individual by the jogging a short-medium distance. It is very significant as it helps in improving flexibility, lung capacity, technical running etc. a healthy heart rate is maintained by performing jogging every day.
A long run makes you feel drowsy. It is an umbrella term for a long-running day. It removes all the fatigue but leads to a lot of exhaustion in the end. The long-run is practised for increasing the stamina of the body. The distance of the long run and the timing or the duration is decided based on your current physical ability.
The Progressive run is started a very moderate and slower pace and gradually the pace increases with time till the end. The speed is the main challenge in the case of the progressive Run.
Interval run is practised often for improving speed, stamina and endurance too. This type of jogging combines running fast and the running slow and even at times standing still for regaining health. This is the best way of practising endurance without exerting yourself too much which leads to exhaustion.
Fartlek is based on base run and Interval run. It is mainly a game of speed. It has no particular structure to be followed. It is a type of jogging which includes a combination of changing speeds and various distances.
In this type of jogging, you have to keep running uphill at a steady pace. This exercise is very significant for increasing the stamina and the strength of an individual. The lung capacity also gets improved by performing Hill repeats on a very regulated basis.
A higher speed is usually sustained in the case of the Tempo Run. this speed is usually higher than your average speed. The main goal of this exercise is to maintain this same speed for at least 20-60 minutes. The timing completely depends on the current physical stamina, fitness and physical ability of your body.
What are the few things you should keep in mind while jogging?
– You have to maintain a well-balanced diet. Healthy eating is highly necessary for maintaining good health.
– Before going for your jogging, always try to prevent eating any kind of food.
– Try avoiding running on a hot and sunny day.
– Rehydrate a lot before as well as after your jog.
– Try carrying your smartphone to keep a perfect track on the distance that you are covering while jogging. The smartphones also help in tracking the amount of time that you are jogging.
– Stay alert even if you are listening to music on your phones or iPods.
– You should always try wearing reflective materials while you are going out for jogging in the morning or even at night.
18 tips for the people who go out for jogging regularly
Before starting any kind of exercise, it is always recommended to warm up. The contraction and the relaxation of the muscles are a constant process during the time of jogging. If your muscles are not ready or the dynamics then you have high risks of getting muscle cramps. The cramps might make it very difficult for you to walk or jog properly. Warming up prepares the muscles for endurance training. Warming up before jogging decreases the risks of injuring yourself.
Setting a goal is very important for seeing effective results. Setting a goal helps you move towards your achievement with more motivation. It helps you in staying more focused and sticking to your plan and soon you will be able to run longer distances with better breathing capacity, stamina and energy as well.
Always prefer running shoes
The shoes play a very significant role in jogging. It helps in maintaining the health of your feet and bones. The pressure or the thrust experienced by the feet and the bones is regulated a lot the shoes to a greater extent. You should always prefer wearing comfortable sports shoes or running shoes. You can even consult your orthopaedic doctor for special orthopaedic shoes for jogging.
Loosen up your body
You should try to loosen up your body and remove all the stress and tensions from your shoulder and neck region first. Then gradually relax your arms, legs and feet. This is very helpful for jogging for a very long time. Shake your hands and feet which will help you in loosening up your body. This helps in the prevention of any muscle cramps.
Push your chest out while jogging
It is very important to maintain the correct posture while jogging. There are many joggers who slouch while jogging. It is incorrect to do so since it has adverse effects on the health of your spine and your back. You have to make sure that your chest is pushed out while you are jogging on a treadmill, a road or a trail. Pushing out the chest while jogging helps in preventing any spinal injuries and your posture is also improved.
Start your jogging at a slow pace
When you start to jog, you have to maintain a slower pace first. Start walking slowly and then gradually increase the pace of your jogging. Increase your pace a bit every time after each 30 seconds interval. You should start brisk walking by the end of 60 seconds or so. Then start walking at a slower pace and gradually increase your pace of jog. This helps in burning a lot of calories and in a very healthier way. An additional walk can also add up to your warmup.
A soft or slow landing should be preferred
It is always suggested to kand slowly and softly on your feet while you are jogging. If you stomp your feet while landing, there is a high chance that you will injure your knees and other weight-bearing joints. It is very important to land on the balls of your feet which helps in absorbing the shock and doesn’t let it hit the knee directly. It will help you to stick to this exercise for a longer time by improving your stamina and energy.
Use various techniques of breathing
The most important part of jogging is paced breathing. Insufficient supply of oxygen to the cells in your body can also lead to muscle fatigue and muscle cramps which make it impossible to jog for a longer time. You should follow a proper pattern of breathing while you are jogging and you should take proper intervals for breathing correctly so that you don’t run out of oxygen. This helps in boosting your stamina.
Try jogging in different directions
Jogging in various directions such as zig-zag and lateral motions help in raining the muscles of the legs. Changing directions frequently can be very helpful since it helps in strengthening the leg muscles as well as help in moving through any kind of roads, such as uphill, downhill, rocky and race roads, etc. This exercise helps in burning a lot of calories and helps in maintaining and regulating the brain-body coordination very well.
Try to train yourself in intervals
The best way to start and carry on with the type of exercise or the type of jogging that you are choosing is to try training yourself taking proper intervals. Taking proper intervals help in increasing your stamina as well as your physical fitness. It helps in the prevention of various physical damages like muscle cramps or muscle fatigue, etc.
Box jumping should be practised
Box Jumps provide dor building good strength and also help in improving muscle power. It helps in strengthening your leg muscles especially while jogging on trails. The Box jumps help in strengthening your thighs and glutes. Practising box jumps can make it easier to jog for 5 miles at a stretch.
Jogging downhill requires more control on your own body rather than climbing uphill. Try jogging downhill since it will make the control on your muscles much better and you will also improve on your jogging techniques.
Planks are the best exercises which are really helpful in increasing the core strength of the body. For every physical activity,core strength is highly required. In order to jog in an effective way, you need to build your core muscles really strong. Plank is the best exercise which is essential for that.
When you are done with your jogging, stretching is highly helpful for cooling down. Cooling down your body helps in recovering your muscles so easily and quickly. Stretching after jogging relaxes the muscles and prevent any kind of muscle injury or fatigue. You should mainly focus on stretching the following parts, the hamstrings, calves, arms, necks and the back too.
Your muscles are relaxed and rejuvenated the maximum while your body is at rest or when you are sleeping. Your muscles undergo tear and wear while you are in motion. Resting and sleeping are very helpful in making your muscles develop themselves up again. Giving proper rest to your body also makes your muscles stronger and bigger. It always recommended getting a good and sound sleep for 6-7 hours. Always try to sleep after 2 to 3 hours of having dinner.
It is very important for a person who jogs regularly to keep hydrated properly. Hydration has a lot of benefits and it even helps in the rejuvenation of the muscles which undergo too many contractions, wears and tears during the time of jogging.
Talk to yourself
It is very important to keep talking to yourself while you are jogging or in motion. Keep pushing yourself to do a few steps more when you feel like giving up. Try to tell yourself about the feeling when you reach your target. Focus more on the final result and keep motivating yourself for taking a few more steps always.
Timing your step can be effective
It can be highly effective to time your steps. You should start timing your steps before which you are going to rest. For example, set a goal of aking rest only after you have covered 30 steps. With time keep increasing the number of steps after which you are going to rest.
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas