What is Anti Ds-DNA antibody?
Anti Ds-DNA antibody stands for Anti Double-Stranded DNA antibody. This is the Anti Nuclear Antibody (ANA). These antibodies are produced by the immune system itself and they typically target the antigens of the double-stranded DNA. Anti Ds-DNA antibody targets the essential parts of the nucleus especially the most crucial genetic materials inside the nucleus thus leading to further cell and tissue damage. The presence of the Anti Ds-DNA antibodies in the blood concludes the presence of a disease called lupus.
What is Anti Ds-DNA test?
The Anti Ds-DNA antibody test is used to diagnose the disease called lupus or more aptly the SLE(Systematic lupus erythematosus). This test helps in differentiating lupus from any other autoimmune diseases.
Why did my doctor recommend me to undergo the Ds-DNA Test?
Anti Ds-DNA Test or ELISA(Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) is highly recommended if:
– You are detected with higher levels of ANA(Anti-Nuclear Antibody)
– You are detected with some symptoms of any autoimmune disease
– Your doctor wants to confirm whether you have lupus disease
The ELISA Test is also significantly recommended by the doctor to detect if there is any presence of the ANA(Anti Nuclear Antibody) in the blood.
What are the other conditions for which your doctor might ask you to undergo the Ds-DNA Test(ELISA)?
Your doctor might ask you to undergo the Ds-DNA Test if you have minimum any 4 of these 11 conditions:
– Malar rash: Butterfly rashes that appear on the cheeks.
– Discoid rash, red, scaly patches on the skin that cause scarring.
– Photosensitivity: skin reaction due to sensitivity to sunlight.
– Oral ulcers (open mouth sores).
– Arthritis, pain, inflammation, or swelling of the joints.
– Kidney disorder: Either excess protein in the urine (proteinuria) or red blood cells in the urine.
– Neurological disorder, seizures, or psychosis.
– Inflammation of the lining around the lungs (pleuritis) or of the lining around the heart (pericarditis).
– Blood disorder, either low red blood cell count (anaemia), low white blood cell count (leukopenia), decrease in lymphocytes (lymphopenia), or decrease in blood platelets (thrombocytopenia).
– Immunologic disorder, including the presence of certain cells or autoantibodies, or a false-positive test result for syphilis. Abnormal blood work, a positive antinuclear antibody (ANA) test result from blood work.
When should I take the Anti Ds-DNA Test?
If you are noticing any of the following symptoms, theAnti Ds-DNA(ELISA) Test is highly recommended:
– Achy joints (arthralgia)
– Unexplained fever
– Swollen joints (arthritis)
– Prolonged or extreme fatigue
– Skin rash
– Ankle swelling and fluid accumulation
– Pain in the chest when breathing deeply (pleurisy)
– A butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose
– Hair loss
– Sensitivity to the sun and/or other light
– Mouth or nose sores
– Pale or purple fingers or toes from cold or stress (Raynaud’s phenomenon)
The lesser common symptoms include:
What are the preparations needed for the Ds-DNA Test(ELISA)?
– Overnight fasting might be suggested before sample collection.
– Consult your health practitioner if you will need fasting.
– There is no inclusion of any new medicine.
– There is no need of stopping any medicine that you had been taking.
What is the procedure of the Anti Ds-DNA(ELISA) test?
TheAnti Ds-DNA(ELISA) test is carried out using a blood sample. The blood sample is collected by the process of venipuncture. The process of venipuncture is conducted in the following ways.
– A tourniquet is wrapped around the upper arm to make the veins more prominent.
– A syringe or needle is used to draw blood by puncturing the vein.
– The blood is drawn into the tube of the syringe.
– The tourniquet is unwrapped.
– An antiseptic is applied to the spot of venipuncture to avoid any infection.
– The spot of injection of the syringe is dabbed by a cotton swab or a bandage is put to stop any further bleeding.
The blood sample is then sent to the laboratory for the Anti Ds-DNA(ELISA) test.
Is the Anti-Ds-DNA (ELISA) test procedure painful?
The test procedure of the Anti Ds-DNA(ELISA) test involves no pain at all. The blood sample collection is done by venipuncture so a person might feel a pinpricking sensation while the syringe is injected. The negligible pain wears off in a span of a few hours or a day maximum.
What is the price of the Anti Ds-DNA(ELISA) test in India?
The price of the Anti-Ds-DNA (ELISA) Test ranges from Rs 900-6500, in India. The prices vary depending on the diagnostic centre and the location i.e. the state or the city that they are located in.
When will I get my results for the Anti Ds-DNA(ELISA) test?
You will get your results within the very same day or in one or two more days depending on the diagnostic centre.
How to understand my results for the Anti Ds-DNA(ELISA) Test?
<30.0 IU/mL = Negative
30.0 – 75.0 IU/mL = Borderline
>75.0 IU/mL = Positive
What doesit mean if my results for the Anti-Ds-DNA Test negetive?
The negative result is considered normal. The negative result means that there’s no presence of any Anti-Ds-DNA antibody in the blood. Only 65% to 85% of people having lupus gets detected with Anti-Ds-DNA antibody. Thus a negative result doesn’t totally remove the threat of SLE(Systematic Lupus Erythematosus) or lupus. Consult your doctor for further recommendations.
What does it mean if my results for the Anti-Ds-DNA test is positive?
A positive result indicates that you are detected with lupus disease which is more aptly known as SLE(Systematic Lupus Erythematosus). The exact numerical value for the level of your Anti-Ds-DNA antibody determines whether it is during or prior to the SLE flare-up.
What does it mean to have moderate levels of Anti-Ds-DNA antibody?
If you have moderate levels of Anti-Ds-DNA, it indicates that you might have the following conditions:
– Autoimmune disorders such as Sjögren syndrome.
– Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD).
Can pregnant women undergo the Anti-Ds-DNA Test?
It is completely safe for a pregnant woman to undergo an Anti-Ds-DNA test. This test is recommended to pregnant women since it has been observed that there is a possibility of inheriting lupus.
Is the Anti Ds-DNA Test safe for my unborn?
The test just involves the collection of a blood sample from the mother by the process of venipuncture. Thus it is not at all risky for your unborn while you are undergoing the Anti-Ds-DNA Test.
Is Anti-Ds-DNA Test recommended for kids?
Any kid showing the symptoms of lupus or any other autoimmune disorders are suggested to undergo the Anti-Ds-DNA Test.
What are the benefit and the limitation to the Anti-Ds-DNA Test?
|The benefit of the Anti-Ds-DNA test is that it helps in confirming the lupus disease.||This test might not be always right. In just 65%-85% of people having lupus or SLE(Systematic Lupus Erythematosus), the Anti-Ds-DNA antibodies get detected.|
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas