Zifi 200 is an oral third-generation drug .This destroys…Read More
Last Updated December 20th, 2021
These are drugs that are used to treat and cure vaginal bacterial infections such as vaginosis and trichomoniasis. These are diseases that are caused by parasites such as amebiasis and giardiasis. The drug works by killing and stopping the multiplication of all parasites and bacteria. However, the drug is not used to treat viral infections. The drug is specially prescribed for the following infections:
Amoebiasis: These are drugs that are used to treat infections resulting from amoeba called Entamoeba histolytica that usually affects the liver and intestines.
Trichomoniasis: This is a bacterial infection caused by a bacteria called Trichomonas vaginalis. Trichomoniasis is sexually transmitted.
Bacterial vaginosis: If refers to a bacterial infection in the vagina that are caused by Lactobacillus species. It usually leads to overgrowth of the bacteria in the vagina.
Prostatitis: This is inflammation of prostate gland that can be caused by several bacteria, commonly E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococci, and Klebsiella pneumoniae. Norflox TZ is prescribed for this condition.
Urinary tract infection: The drug is commonly prescribed for the treatment of urinary tract infections that are usually caused by microorganisms such as Cystitis caused by E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococci, and Klebsiella pneumoniae.
The drug is used to treat several bacterial infections that are not caused by viral infections that cause flu, common cold, and such illnesses.
Other infections where Norflox TZ has been prescribed include stomach infections and others in the abdomen, intestinal infections, bacterial infections, sexually transmitted diseases, eye and ear infections, reproductive organ infections (especially females) and blood infections.
Typhoid fever infections, lungs infections, chest infections and those involving womb lining, teeth infections, gums and infections have also been treated with this drug. Other infections where this drug is prescribed include intestines, ear, anemia, and sinusitis. The list is not comprehensive and can be used for other bacterial infections deemed applicable by a doctor.
Do I need a prescription?
The drug needs to be prescribed by a doctor to assess individual condition of a patient and the nature of infection. There is no standard dosage of the drug for all patients.
The drug contains two components that include two components, Norfloxacin (400mg), Tinidazole (600mg) and Lactobacillus (120 Millionspores).
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
Tinidazole is an antibiotic that is used to kill bacteria by destroying their DNA, therefore reducing infections in the body. Norfloxacin is one among the seven antibiotic classes of fluoroquinolones. Norfloxacin interferes with the functioning of these bacteria and microorganisms by stopping their multiplication. It makes the damaged microorganisms to fail to reproduce, repair their DNA and thereby decreasing their numbers effectively.
Lactobacillus is used replace some useful bacterial that helps in treating indigestion and diarrhea, which are often side effects of taking some antibiotics. Lactobacillus works by helping in breaking down of nutrients and hence aiding in digestion. This stabilises presence of bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract where excess bacteria are eliminated and some restored into the body.
Norflox TZ is contraindicated on the following conditions:
- Allergies related to Norflox TZ
- Fluoroquinolones and all related drugs
- Myasthenia gravis (a condition that caused weakness and fatigue in muscles to the extent that they lack voluntary control.)
- Warfarin, where blood thinning may arise
- Blood dyscrasias decreased neutrophils
- Pregnancy in the first trimester
- Myasthenia gravis
- Neurological disorders
- QT prolongation Renal insufficiency
- Rapturing of tendons
- Limps (hands and feet) may tingle
These are the unintended effects related to taking of Norflox TX that can be mild or severe, depending on the personal interaction with the drug. Some of them are immediate while others may take some time before they are noted. Some of the side effects are common while others are rare. Common side effects can include the following:
- Chest pains
- Fouls taste in the mouth
- Darker urine (considered not dangerous)
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Mouth dryness and or sometimes ulcers
- Compromised immune system
- Loose stools
- Abdominal discomfort
- Pain in anus or rectum
- Blurring of vision
- Abnormal blood counts
- Furry tongue
- Vertigo -a sensation of dizziness, light-headedness, such as when looking down from long heights, which can make one lose balance
- Face may redden
- Joints may be painful
- Back pains
- Elevated production of enzyme levels
- Leukopenia -a condition where there is a reduction of white blood cells (leucocytes) in the body, making a body more susceptible for infections
- Angioedema -swelling of areas under the skin such as dermis, subcutaneous tissue, the mucosa, and submucosal tissues. This swelling may be accompanied by hives.
Rare side effects that have been noted are as indicated below:
- Allergies such as rashes and skin irritation, itching
- Ringing sensation ears
- Yeast infection
- Oral thrush
- Change in taste in the mouth
- Sourness in the stomach
- Dry mouth
- Mood swings
- Body pains
- Back pain
- Diarrhea (minor and rare)
- Skin rash
- Difficulties in breathing
- Bitter taste
While it is recommended that all dose schedules should be observed, for various reasons a dose can be missed. In such a case, the dose should be foregone until the next schedule is scheduled. It shouldbe resumed as soon as it is remembered.
- The drug should not be taken alongside any other dairy products at least 2 hours prior to taking it or an hour after consuming it.
- If a patient uses other mineral or vitamins supplements, they should be taken at least two hours before taking this drug. This precaution also includes other aluminium or magnesium oxide products such as antacids as they can have an adverse in functioning of the drug in the body.
- The drug, like any other, should be taken as advised an at regular intervals to work properly. Antibiotics should especially be taken with drugs regularly as missing drugs could lead to drug resistance of the drug.
- Caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee should be avoided when taking these drugs as they can reduce the potency of this drug.
- Norflox TZ is not recommended for patients under 12, they need medical advisory for an alternative prescription.
- It is unsafe to take medicine with alcohol. Brief abstention is needed
- The drug may not be taken during pregnant people especially at the third trimester or those that are planning to get pregnant. They should be taken if the benefits outweigh the risk and under supervision or consultation of a doctor.
- Lactating mothers should not usethis drug unless advised so by a prescribing doctor upon weighing the effects of taking it.
- The drug may not be safe for patients with kidney disease
- Due to possibilities of drowsiness or dizziness after taking this drug, people on this medication may not drive or operate machinery as this could result
- Sleeplessness may result by taking this drug
- People overly sensitive to ultraviolet light or sunlight may worsen these conditions when taking this drug
- If consuming norfloxacin, patients are advised to take a lot of water
- Some patients have reported a lack of sleep, increased nervousness and increased heartbeats
- Caution should be taken when taking the medicines not to exceed three tablets in a day and there should be a gap between dose schedules.
- The drug should not be consumed with steroids
- The drug should be stopped if there is a feeling o numbness or tingling sensation.
- Storage should in a cool dry place, away from direct sunlight.
These are the unintended effects that are likely to occur to a patient when they take the medicine with other drugs, foods or beverages.
CNS Disorders. People with nervous complications (Central Nervous System Disorder) can have some mild or worse interactions that can include tremors, restlessness and anxiety. Some may experience extreme effects of confusion or hallucinations. This is a major interaction where people with such conditions are advised to report to a doctor. Besides, such patients are advised to avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee to avoid aggravating these interactions.
QT Prolongation. The drug is known to interact with patients with heart conditions. Patients that feel discomforts in the stomach should avoid the drug. People with a family history of these conditions should be careful and notify doctors prescribing this drug.
Colitis. Norflox TZ may interact with certain conditions such as cause severe diarrhea, abdominal pain and sometimes blood may be spotted in the stool.
Alcohol: There is uncertainty on how the effects of consuming alcohol with Norflox TZ although, like many medicines, patients are advised to briefly abstain from alcohol consumption with the drug. It is though that alcohol can aggravate the side effects and might cause excessive drowsiness, low blood pressure and chest pains.
Escitalopram drugs. These are likely to happen in the case of patients with arrythmia (heart dissease) although these interactions may happen even for those that are not. Symptoms likely to occur for such patients include shortness of breath or reduction in palpitations and some dizziness. Doctors should consider adjusting the dosage if this drug must be used on such patients as this is a major interaction.
Ethinyl Estradiol. The interaction is moderatewhere Norflox TZ may interfere with the normal functioning of contraceptive pills when used with the drug. Consultation with a doctor for adjustment of the drug dosage is needed.
Corticosteroids. Corticosteroids have a major interference with Norflox TX where patients may feel pain, swelling on arms, hands and thumbs when taken together. However, these interactions have been more often on patients with recent treatments involving kidney or heart transplants.
Aspirin. There may be a moderate interaction if the drug is taken together with Aspirin. Some of the effects that may be experienced include hallucinations, seizures and other involuntary muscle movements.
Antidiabetic drugs: taking Norflox with this drug could have a moderate effect with varying symptoms such as nervousness, confusion and general body weakness. A patient may notice increased thirst, increased need to urinate and reduced feeling of hunger. It is one of the reasons that people with kidney disease or are diabetic are advised to seek adjustment of doses of this drug by medical doctor. Taking this drug in such condition needs to be closely supervised.
- Ascorbic acid
- UrticariaI (hives-raised, itchy red rashes on the skin)
Help Others Be Fit