Last Updated December 20th, 2021
What is FSH?
FSH stands for Follicle Stimulating Hormone which is secreted from the pituitary gland. This hormone is an integral part of the reproductive system. It helps in the development of ovarian follicular growth. The ovarian follicles are responsible for producing estrogen and progesterone in ovaries which regulates a woman’s menstrual cycle. In men, FSH(Follicle Stimulating Hormone) helps in the development of the gonads as well as sperm production.
What is FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) Test?
FSH Test is used for monitoring the amount of FSH(Follicle Stimulating Hormone) in the blood.
Why is FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) Test recommended for women?
If your doctor has asked you to get an FSH Test done, the following can be the reasons:
– Infertility problems.
– Irregular menstrual cycle.
– Diseases related to the ovary.
– Pituitary gland related problems.
– For confirming the start of menopause.
Why is FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) Test recommended for men?
If you have been recommended an FSH test by your doctor, the following can be the reasons:
– Infertility problems.
– To asses lower sperm count.
– To diagnose problems related to testicles(assessing testicular dysfunction).
– It helps in examining hypogonadism(the diminished functional activity of gonads) or gonadal failure.
Why is FSH(Follicle Stimulating Hormone) Test recommended for children?
If your kid has been recommended to undergo an FSH test, the doctor might want to diagnose late or early puberty.
|Early||Before 9 yrs||Before 10 yrs|
|Late||After 13 yrs||After 14 yrs|
When do I need an FSH Test?
If you are a woman, you need an FSH test if:-
You are facing infertility issues.
– You have an irregular menstrual cycle.
– If you have a lower sex drive.
– Abnormal weight gain and slow metabolism.
– Your periods have stopped.
– Swelling in hands and legs.
– Urinating fewer times.
If you are a man, you need an FSH Test if:
– You have a lower sex drive.
– You are facing infertility issues.
– You are going through any testicular disorders.
– Urinating less than usual.
What are the other symptoms which call for an FSH Test?
There can be other symptoms due to problems regarding the pituitary gland. The symptoms are the following:
– Weight Loss
– Decreased appetite.
What are the preparations needed for the test?
There are no particular preparations needed during the test.
– No fasting is required.
– Don’t stop or add any new medications.
What is the procedure of the test?
For the test to be conducted, a blood sample of the person is collected. The blood sample is collected on the 3rd day of the menstrual cycle’s onset in the case of a woman. In the case of a man, it can be collected anytime. The procedure adopted for collecting the blood sample is venipuncture.
– A tourniquet is wrapped around the upper arm to make the veins more prominent.
– A syringe or needle is used to draw blood by puncturing the vein.
– The blood is drawn into the tube of the syringe.
– The tourniquet is unwrapped.
– An antiseptic is applied to the spot of venipuncture to avoid any infection.
– The spot of injection of the syringe is dabbed by a cotton swab or a bandage is put to stop any further bleeding.
The blood sample is then sent to the laboratory for the FSH(Follicle-stimulating hormone) test.
Will I feel any pain during the procedure?
There is no pain associated with this test since it involves the collection of the blood sample. There can be a minute pin pricking sensation while the needle of the syringe is injected.
What are the risks associated with the procedure?
There can be a few risks regarding the blood collection factor like:
– Some people feel light-headed and dizzy after the blood is drawn.
– It might cause Hematoma (blood accumulating under the skin causing a lump or bruise).
– There might be pain associated with too many punctures for finding a vein.
What is the price of the FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) Test in India?
The price of the FSH Test in India ranges from Rs 300- Rs1500. It varies with various diagnostic centers, laboratories, and their locations.
When will I get my reports?
You will get your results the very next day of the test. In some cases, depending on the diagnostic centre it might take 2 days.
How to interpret my results?
The normal values of FSH in men, women, and children are:
|Before puberty||0 – 5.0 mIU/m||0 – 4.0 mIU/m|
|During puberty||0.3 – 10.0 mIU/ml||0.3 – 10.0 mIU/m|
|Adult||1.5 – 12.4 mIU/ml||4.7 – 21.5 mIU/ml|
|After menopause||25.8 – 134.8 mIU/ml|
Depending on your age and gender the FSH levels in your result depict if you are having a higher or a lower amount of FSH.
What do higher levels of FSH in women mean?
– Onset of menopause.
– If the woman is undergoing any hormone therapy.
– Presence of certain types of tumors in the pituitary gland.
– Presence of ovarian cysts like in case of PCOS( PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome).
– Existing chromosomal abnormalities like Turner’s Syndrome.
What do higher levels of FSH in men mean?
– Klinefelter’s Syndrome.
– Absence of testicles or testicular dysfunction.
– Testicles have been damaged by any disease or due to alcohol dependence.
– Testicles have been damaged due to treatments using X-Ray or Chemotherapy.
What do higher levels of FSH in children mean?
Higher levels of FSH in children indicate the early onset of puberty.
What does a lower level of FSH level indicate?
Lower levels of FSH indicate:
– A woman is incapable of producing eggs.
– A man is incapable of producing sperms.
– There is a problem with the functioning of the hypothalamus or the pituitary gland. And that is inhibiting the production of the FSH(Follicle Stimulating Hormone).
– A tumor in the brain is interfering with the production of FSH.
Is it safe to get an FSH Test during pregnancy?
It is highly recommended to take an FSH Test during pregnancy since FSH plays an integral role in the placenta formation in the initial stages of pregnancy. In the initial stages of pregnancy, the FSH content should be 2mIU/ml. The normal range of FSH during pregnancy is 3-10mIU/ml.
What are the preparations needed for this test during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, your doctor might ask you to stop a few medications 48 hours before the test.
What is the test procedure during pregnancy?
Even during pregnancy, a blood sample is collected using venipuncture. A urine sample can also be used for testing the FSH(Follicle Stimulating Hormone) level. In the case of a urine sample, the medical professional can ask for more than one sample across a time period of 24 hours.
Does this test affect my baby?
This test just involves the collection of blood and urine samples. Hence, it poses no threat to your baby.
Is there any other test associated with FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)?
Your doctor might suggest an LH(Luteinizing Hormone Test) along with FSH(Follicle Stimulating Hormone) Test.
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas