Last Updated September 27th, 2019
Taxim O tablet and syrup is anti-bacterial in nature. It is classified as a third generation cephalosporin. It is used for the treatment of infections caused by both gram positive and gram negative bacteria thus it is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Taxim O is not to be used in diseases caused by viruses as it will not be effective. Taxim O can be used in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Lung infections
- Throat infections
- Ear infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Otitis media
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Kidney infections
- Bacterial meningitis
- Bacterial septicemia
- Bone and joint infections
- Cystitis( infection of the urinary bladder)
- After surgery to prevent infections
You might be required to do a complete blood panel since your doctor might want to check your blood counts. One common test to check these parameters is the CBC blood test. This is a simple blood test that can be done from your home.
Do I need a prescription?
Taxim O can be bought from online drug stores and pharmaceuticals close to you. But a doctor’s prescription is a must.
The dosage for Taxim O is determined by the severity of the condition being treated. The recommended dosage for some conditions include:
- Urinary tract infections, otitis media, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, and bronchitis: 400 mg once a day orally or 200 mg every 12 hours taken orally.
- Uncomplicated gonococcal infection: a single dose of 400 mg taken orally taken for one week.
- Disseminated gonococcal infection: 400 mg taken twice a day orally for one week.
- Sexually Transmitted Disease prophylaxis: 400 mg once a day and accompanied with metronidazole and either doxycycline or azithromycin.
Doses for disseminated gonococcal infection and STD prevention are not approved by the FDA but recommended by the CDC.
The recommended form of Taxim O is either chewable tablets or oral suspension. The dosage is for children from 6 months to 12 years. The weight should be 45 kg or less.
- Otitis media, urinary tract infections, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, and bronchitis: 8 mg/kg once a day orally or 4 mg/kg taken after every 12 hours.
- Uncomplicated gonococcal infection: 400 mg taken once a day for one week.
- Disseminated gonococcal infection: 400 mg taken twice a day for one week.
- Sexually Transmitted Disease prophylaxis: 400 mg taken once a day with metronidazole and either doxycycline or azithromycin.
The dosage for uncomplicated and disseminated gonococcal infections and STD prevention is not FDA approved but recommended by CDC.
Renal dose adjustment. The dose should be adjusted for use in an individual that has renal disease. For the treatment of infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes, Taxim O should be administered for ten days.
The active ingredient in Taxim O is Cefixime. A third-generation cephalosporin. The active ingredient can be found in different strengths such as 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg.
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
The active ingredient in Taxim O, cefixime is stable as the other third-generation cephalosporins in the presence of beta-lactamases making many organisms that are resistant due to beta-lactamases susceptible to cefixime.
Cefixime inhibits the synthesis of mucopeptides that is essential for the formation of the bacterial cell wall. It binds to specific PBPs (penicillin-binding proteins) found on the inside of the bacterial cell wall preventing the third and last stage in the synthesis not to occur. As a result, the cell undergoes lysis that is mediated by autolysis enzymes such as autolysins. It also interferes with inhibitors of autolysis. The lysis of the cell results in the death of the bacteria and treatment of the condition.
Facts on Taxim O
- Taxim O is a broad spectrum antibiotic.
- Taxim O was among the top 20 antibiotics used in India in March 2009.
- FDA classifies cefixime the active ingredient of Taxim O as pregnancy category B as animal studies do not show the harm of the fetus.
- The active ingredient of Taxim O is also marketed under different brand names like Suprax.
- FDA and WHO inspect the manufacturing company of Taxim O, Alkem Laboratories Ltd among other regulatory bodies.
- Cefixime has a high resistance rate thus not recommended as the first-line regimen of uncomplicated gonococcal infections.
The use of Taxim O is contraindicated in some conditions as it may worsen the situation or make you prone to side effects of the drug. Inform your doctor if you have any of the following cases before the medication is prescribed as it might affect the prescription or require the dose to being adjusted.
The conditions include:
- Pregnancy (or planning to conceive).
- Allergy to any of the active ingredients or other components in the drug; penicillin or cephalosporin.
- Renal disease
- Liver disease
- Using anticoagulants
- Taxim O should not be used in neonates
- If you are elderly, it should be used with caution and requires close observation.
- When using lidocaine
- If you are using intravenous solutions or infusions that contain calcium.
- Seizure disorder or a history of seizure. Taxim O should be used with caution, and if a seizure is as a result of its use it should be discontinued
Apart from the intended good impacts of Taxim O, side effects may also occur. The side effects depend on the dosage and duration of using the drug. The side effects do not occur in all individuals using the drug while some may occur while others may not. The side effects might be common and less severe and might go away on their own while others are rare and very serious and require immediate medical attention. Report to your doctor if you experience any side effects while using Taxim O especially if they do not go away.
The common side effects include:
- Loose stools
- Stomach pain
- Excessive Gas in the stomach
- A sore throat
- Painful or difficulties while urinating
- Chest pain
- Change in taste
- Redness of skin
- A cough
- Dry mouth
- Discomfort or unease
- Inflammation of large intestines
- Vaginal yeast infection signs include itching and smelly discharge
Rare and severe side effects include:
- Swelling face, tongue, throat, lips, hands, feet and eyelids
- Difficulty breathing
- Stomach pain
- Clay-colored or black stool
To control some side effects, you are advised to take small meals frequently, sucking of hard, sugar-free candy, good mouth hygiene. Yogurt and probiotics also help to alleviate some side effects.
If you accidentally take an overdose of Taxim O, immediately inform your doctor or rush to the nearest emergency center of the closest hospital and report. Carry with you the package or label of the drug for identification. An overdose of Taxim O may cause headaches, diarrhea, blood in urine, nausea, and pain in the upper abdomen.
Taxim O used together with other drugs may affect how it works. Inform your doctor of any medicines you are currently using whether over the counter drugs or prescription drugs, vitamin supplements and any herbal products. Taxim O also may affect the results of some laboratory tests giving false positive or negative. Products and tests that interact with Taxim O include:
- Taxim O may increase the chances of bleeding occurring. Any signs of increased bleeding, dizziness, weakness and swelling should be reported to your doctor immediately.
- Cholera vaccine. The vaccine should be avoided if you have taken Taxim O not more than 14 days to the vaccine.
- When used together with Taxim O and you have a kidney disease it leads to vomiting or nausea, increase or decrease in urination, fluid retention or weight gain.
- May cause dizziness, headaches, diarrhea, and vomiting when used together.
- Ethinyl estradiol
- Coumadin and other anticoagulant medicines
- BCG vaccine
- Picosulfuric acid
- Probenecid prolongs the effect of Taxim O.
- Contraceptive pills
- When used together increases levels of carbamazepine.
- Coombs test. Might give a false positive
- Urine ketones test. Might give a false positive with tests using nitroprusside.
- Glucose test in urine. Might give a false positive when using Benedict’s solutions, Fehling’s solution or Clinitest.
What to do if you skip a dose?
When you skip a dose, take it as soon as you realize it. If the time for the next dose is close, you can skip the dose and take the next dose and then continue with the regular schedule. Do not double the dose to compensate for the missed dose. Taking double may result in adverse side effects. Frequent skipping of doses will make the drug not to be effective. You can set a reminder or alarm to remind you when it is time to take for the next dose or have a family member tell you. You can also ask your doctor for a schedule that you can easily follow.
Some precautions need to be considered while using Taxim O. The precautions include:
- Do not take Taxim O if you are allergic to cephalosporin and penicillin.
- Pregnant or planning to be pregnant. Animal studies have not shown adverse effects on the fetus, but no human trials have been done. Thus its results are not known. It should only be used if the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Small amounts of Taxim O are secreted in milk. Thus not recommended but if used, it should not be used for prolonged periods as it might harm the nursing baby. May cause diarrhea and thrush in the nursing baby.
- Taxim O should be used with caution together with alcohol as it might increase side effects from occurring.
- Use of Taxim O may cause Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea thus may cause severe diarrhea. In such cases, drug use should be stopped and reported to your doctor.
- Liver and kidney disease. Taxim O should be used with caution. Dose adjustment is recommended.
- Inform your doctor of medications you are using to prevent drug interactions.
- Taxim O lowers the effectiveness of contraceptive pills thus barrier methods should be used to prevent conception.
- When used for prolonged periods one might get a yeast infection.
- Do not use the drug if it is expired or the package has been tampered with.
- Ensure you finish the full course of the medication to prevent bacterial resistance from occurring.
- Discontinue use of Taxim O in case of allergic reactions.
- Take Taxim O with food to avoid stomach upset.
- If you have a bleeding disorder, use of Taxim O should be used with caution as it increases the risk of bleeding.
- Do not take Taxim O if it has not prescribed by a doctor.
- If you experience dizziness while on Taxim O do not perform tasks that require alertness such as driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Taxim O should be stored at room temperature, away from light, heat, and moisture.
Different brands and manufacturing companies
Alkem Laboratories Ltd manufactures Taxim O. It is manufactured in different strengths 400 mg, 200 mg, 200 mg or 50 mg tablet.
Other brands manufactured with Alkem Laboratories Ltd include:
- Taxim of tablet ( Cefixime 200 mg + Ofloxacin 200 mg)
- Taxim Oz tablet (Cefixime 200 mg + Ornidazole 500 mg)
- Taxim O 30 ml syrup ( Cefixime 50 mg/5 ml)
- Taxim O 10 ml drops( Cefixime 25 mg)
- Taxim O forte syrup( Cefixime 100mg/ 5 ml)
- Taxim O DT 100 mg tablet(Cefixime 100 mg)
- Taxim O DT 50 mg tablet(Cefixime 50 mg)
- Taxim O CV 200 mg tablet(Cefixime 200 mg + Clavulanic 125 mg)
- Taxim O CV dry syrup 5 mg/30 ml suspension( Cefixime 50 mg + Clavulanic acid 31.25 mg/5 ml)
- Taxim O 200 mg chewable tablet(Cefixime 200 mg)
Substitutes of the drug
Other drugs that have the same composition, strength, and function as Taxim O 200 mg include:
- Powercef O 200 mg tablet – Wockhardt Ltd
- Skifi 200 mg tablet – Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd
- Cifadin 200 mg tablet – Alembic Ltd
- Nurocef 200 mg tablet – Neuron Pharma(P) Ltd
- Milixim 200 mg tablet – Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- Cefolac 200 mg tablet – Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Mahacef 200 mg tablet – Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Ceftas 200 mg tablet – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Zifi 200 mg tablet – FDC Ltd
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas