Last Updated December 20th, 2021
Ducloflex is a stimulant laxative that softens stool to relieve short-term constipation problems. Also used for clearance of the bowel before a scheduled surgery. For proper working of the medication take a balanced diet having enough fiber, drink a lot of water and take part in physical exercises regularly. Duclofelx is used for management, control, and treatment of the following conditions:
- Constipation (that is occasional)
- Preparation of bowel prior to surgery, labor or radiological investigation
- Neurogenic bowel syndrome
- Suppository and laxative
Do I Need a Prescription?
Ducloflex can be bought from pharmacies close to you and from online drug stores. A doctor’s prescription is not mandatory.
The dosage for Ducloflex depends on the medical condition, the response to the medication and age. The recommended dosage for different conditions is:
Adults and children above the age of 12 years: 5 mg to 10 mg taken orally. If to be administered rectally, one suppository of 10 mg is used.
Children of 6 to 12 years: 5 mg taken orally. When administered rectally, one suppository of 5 mg is used.
- Bowel emptying before a test or scheduled surgery
Adults: 10 mg to 20 mg taken orally the night before and 10 mg suppository the morning of the procedure that is inserted rectally.
Children of age 6 and above: 5 mg taken orally the night before and a 5 mg suppository the morning of the procedure that is inserted rectally
Ducloflex contains one active ingredient is bicosadyl.
Ducloflex is manufactured either as a tablet for oral administration or a rectal suppository. They can be of 5 mg or 10 mg of the active ingredient.
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
Duclaflex active ingredients Bisacodyl relieves constipation by making the stool soft and empties the large intestines by increasing its motility. Bisacodly once in the large intestine undergoes metabolism by an intestinal brush border enzymes and also by some bacteria in the colon to form the active metabolite. It stimulates the walls of the intestines leading to the production of electrolytes and fluids. It also exerts its action on the mucosal sensory nerves that promote peristalsis allowing for movement.
The use of Ducloflex is not recommended if you have some medical conditions or a history of some. Its use could result in worsening of the condition or occurrence of side effects that could be fatal. Inform your doctor of any medicals conditions you have or have had before as they could affect your prescription. The following are conditions are contraindicated:
- Do not consume Ducloflex if you have an allergy to the active ingredient or of any other allergies you might have.
- Obstruction of the intestines
- Bleeding in the rectum
- Ducloflex should be used with caution and when the benefits outweigh the risks
- Breastfeeding mothers should use Ducloflex with caution. That is on your doctor’s recommendation.
- Abdominal pain
- Children under the age of six years, unless prescribed by a pediatrician.
- Changes in your stool that have lasted over two weeks.
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Severe dehydration
Facts On Ducloflex
- Ducloflex tablets begin working within 6 to 8 hours once taken orally thus recommended to be taken when going to bed.
- The suppository begins their work after 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Long-term use of Ducloflex can cause chronic constipation and laxative dependence.
- Ducloflex is mostly taken after a meal and relieves constipation within a day or less depending on the route of administration.
- It is categorized under pregnancy safety as a category C medication.
Ducloflex like any other medication can cause side effects. The side effects do not occur in everyone. They depend on individual reaction to the medication, the dose, and duration of use. The side effects can be common and less serious and sometimes go away on their own while others are rare and very serious. Inform your doctor of any side effects you experience to get medicals advice especially if they do not go away. The common side effects of Ducloflex include:
- Abdominal cramps
- Stomach pain
Rare and serious side effects include:
- Pain or discomfort in the rectum
- Blood in stool
- Severe intestinal cramping
- Severe diarrhea
- Persistent vomiting and nausea
- Muscle cramps
- Mood changes
- Reduced urination frequency
- Heartbeat becoming irregular
- Reduced blood potassium levels
- Swelling of eyes
- Bowel movement changes
- Rectal bleeding
In case you have an allergic reaction to Ducloflex, discontinue the use of the medication and inform your doctor immediately or seek medical attention. Signs of an allergic reaction include wheezing, swelling of the throat, tongue, lips, and face, rashes on the skin, severe dizziness and itching.
If you accidentally take an overdose of Ducloflex, report it to your doctor or rush into the emergency center of the nearest hospital carrying the medication package with you for identification. Taking an overdose of Ducloflex can result in severe side effects such as severe and persistent nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and abdominal cramping.
Taking more than one medication at the same time can result in drug interactions. Drug interaction interferes with the way working of the drugs, altering their concentrations in the body, affecting their absorption and excretion and can result in the occurrence of side effects that can be fatal. Notify your doctor of all medications you are using including both over the counter and prescription medications, any dietary supplements and herbal products as they may affect your prescription. You might also be advised on how to take the drugs within different intervals to avoid interaction. The following medications and products interact with Ducloflex:
- Corticosteroids such as hydrocortisone, dexamethasone, prednisone
- Antacids such as magnesium hydroxide, aluminum hydroxide, calcium carbonate
- If taken within an hour of taking Ducloflex can result in gastric irritation.
- Diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide
- H2 antagonists such as ranitidine, cimetidine
- Proton Pump Inhibitors(PPIs) such as omeprazole, pantoprazole
What to Do If You Skip a Dose
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you realize it. If it is close to the time for your next dose, you can skip it and take the next dose then continue with the normal dose schedule. However, do not double the dose to compensatefor the missed dose as it might result in side effects of an overdose. Missing doses frequently makes your medication to be lesseffective. To avoid missing doses set an alarm or have a family member remind you when it is time for your next dose.
A number of precautions should be considered before you used and while using Ducloflex. The precautions include:
- Allergic reaction: Do not take Ducloflex if you are allergic to the active ingredient or any other components in the tablet.
- Pregnant and lactating mothers: Ducloflex should be used with caution, only when the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Inform your doctor of all medications and products you are using to avoid drug interactions from occurring.
- Inform your doctor of all medical conditions you have or have had previously.
- Do not take Ducloflex for a period of more than a week. When used for a long time Ducloflex can make bowel movements to be dependent on the medication.
- It should be stored at room temperature away from sunlight, heat, and moisture. Store it away from children and pets.
- Ducloflex should be used with caution in the elderly, it can result in weakness and low blood pressure, therefore, advised stand up slowly from a lying or sitting position.
- It should be administered more than an hour after taking milk or antacids.
- Do not use Ducloflex if you are already using another suppository
- If you experience dizziness and drowsiness while using Ducloflex, it is advised not to take part in activities that require mental alertness such as the operation of heavy machinery and driving.
- Do not take Ducloflex that has expired. Expired medication is less effective in treating your condition. Always check the package for expiry date while purchasing your medication.
- The tablets are best taken at bedtime as it requires 6 to 8 hours for its impact to occur, thus bowel emptying can occur the next morning.
- They should be taken with a lot of water and should not be chewed or crushed. For the suppository, for easy insertion use a lubricant like petroleum jelly to avoid pain.
- Ducloflex can cause dehydration, it is advised to take a lot of water while using it to compensate for the water being lost. It can also cause an imbalance of electrolytes.
- Take a balanced diet rich in fiber that includes, whole grain cereals and bread, fruits, bran, and green leafy vegetables to ensure bowel movement that is healthy.
- Dulcoflex should be taken at least after 2 hours from the time other medications are administered so as not to interfere with their absorption.
Different Brands and Manufacturing Companies of the Drug
Ducloflex is manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim India Pvt Ltd. Ducloflex is manufactured as tablets and as a suppository. The differentstrengths are of 5 mg tablet and 10 mg rectal suppository. Another product from Boehringer Ingelheim India Pvt Ltd is:
- Ducloflex Natural Tablet that contains 7.5 mg Sennosides.
Substitute drugs that have the same composition and strength as Ducloflex 5 mg tablets include:
- Bo Lax 5 mg tablet – Cipla Ltd
- Lax 5 mg tablet – Hema Laboratories
- Bylax 5 mg tablet – Zydus Cadila
- Swilax 5 mg tablet – Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd
- Bisomer 5 mg tablet – Psychotropics India Ltd
- Gerbisa 5 mg tablet – Zydus Cadila
- Lupiplax tablet – Lupin Ltd
- Bisafort 5 mg tablet – Montana Remedies
- Laxidyl tablet – Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Julax 5 mg tablet – Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd
- Duclolax 5 mg tablet – Zydus Cadila
- Evolex 5 mg tablet – Novartis India Ltd
- Stoolax 5 mg tablet – Cipla Ltd
- Gudlax 5 mg tablet – Mankind Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Loolax 5 mg tablet – -Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Dulax 5 mg tablet – Scott Edil Pharmacia Ltd
- Dulfre 5 mg tablet – East West Pharma
- Cremaffin Fresh 5 mg tablet – Abbott
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas