Last Updated December 20th, 2021
Dexorange is a dietary supplement that contains iron in its elemental form, vitamin B12, and folic acid. Dexorange is used in the improvement of symptoms that result due to the deficiency of its components in the body. It is in the form of a syrup. It is used in the management, treatment, control, and prevention of the following conditions, symptoms, and diseases:
- Megaloblastic anemia
- Building immunity
- Iron deficiency
- Anemia in pregnancy, lactation, infancy, and childhood
- Poor diet
- Anemia due to excess loss of blood due to the infestation of worms, menorrhagia
- Anemia due to vitamin C deficiency
- Poor food absorption
- Low red blood cells count
- Stomach and intestinal problems
- Skin infections
- Addisonian anemia
- Small bowel bacterial growth
- General weakness
- Post-surgery and debilitated states
- Eye and ear wash
- Infestation of fish tapeworm
- Bowel or pancreas malignancy
Before taking dexorange, you can check your levels of iron, folic acid and vitmain B12 through simple blood tests that can be taken at home. A CBC blood test measures your hemoglobin levels, RBC, WBC and platelets while a Vitamin B12 blood test is done to check your Vitamin B12 levels. These tests can be done by booking a lab technician through our website to visit you and collect your sample.
Do I Need a Prescription?
Dexorange can be bought from pharmacies close to you and online drug stores. Dexorange is an over the counter medication and does not require a doctor’s prescription.
The dose and duration of use of Dexorange depend on the condition being treated, its severity, age, weight, reaction to the initial dose. The recommended dosage is:
- Adults: 15-30 ml two times a day
- Children 2-5 years: 5 ml two times a day
- Children 5-12 years: 10 ml two times a day
Dexorange contains the following active ingredients:
160 mg Ferric Ammonium Citrate
5 mcg Cyanocobalamin(Vitamin B12)
5 mg Folic acid
The syrup also contains 95% alcohol.
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
The components of Dexorange are micronutrients, thus required by the body in small amounts ad are vital in the normal function of some body systems. Dexorange contains ferric ammonium citrate that provides the body with elemental that prevents deficiency of iron. It replenishes iron in tissues. Vitamin B 12 and folic acid are important in the production of healthy and mature red blood cells. Improved amounts of iron in the body ensure enough amounts of hemoglobin are produced ensuring all body cells are well supplied with oxygen, thus relieving general weakness.
Dexorange use is contraindicated in some medical conditions. When used it could worsen your medical condition or result in the occurrence of adverse reactions. To avoid this from occurring, educate your doctor of the medical conditions you are currently having including those you have a family history f as they can affect the prescription. The following medical conditions are contraindicated:
- Do not use Dexorange if you have an allergic reaction to any of the active ingredients.
- Drug intolerant
- Low blood potassium levels
- Atrophic gastritis
- Leber’s hereditary optic atrophy
- Severe renal impairment
- Liver disease
- Alcoholic cirrhosis
- Addict to alcohol
- Pregnant or planning to be pregnant and breastfeeding. You should consult your doctor about the safety of using Dexorange.
Medications can cause side effects in addition to the intended good effects. The side effects do not occur in every individual. They depend on individual reaction to the medication, the dose, and duration of use. Some of the side effects go away on their own during your treatment. Some of the side effects that occur can be common and less serious while others are rare and very serious. Inform your doctor of any side effects you experience while using Dexorange to get medical advice on how to manage them, especially if they do not go away. The side effects of Dexorange that are common include:
- Dry mouth
- A headache
- Black stool
- Loss of appetite
- Hot flashes
- Staining of teeth
- Bad or bitter taste in the mouth
- Tremors and chills
- Sleep disturbances
Serious and rare side effects include:
- Mental instability and depression
- Increased blood sugars
If you suffer an allergic reaction to Dexorange, immediately discontinue its use and inform your doctor or seek medical attention. Allergic reactions can turn out to be fatal in some cases. Signs of an allergic reaction include itching, rashes, difficulty breathing, fever, wheezing, and swelling of the face, lips, throat, and lips.
If you accidentally take an overdose of Dexorange, call your doctor and report or rush into the emergency center of the nearest hospital carrying the medication package with you for identification. Taking an overdose can cause a bad reaction to the medication. An overdose could result in difficulty breathing, greying of the skin and a bad cough.
Taking more than one medication concurrently may result in drug interactions. Drug interactions affect the way your medication functions, how it is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and how it is eliminated from the body. Some drug interactions may end up being fatal. To avoid drug interactions from occurring, inform your doctor of all drugs you are using or have been using previously including both over the counter medications and prescription drug, dietary supplements and herbal products. Dexorange interacts with the following drugs and products:
- Aminosalicylic acid
What to Do IF You Skip a Dose
If you skip a dose accidentally, take it as soon as you realize it. If it is time close to that of your next treatment, you can skip it and continue with your regular schedule. However, do not double the dose to compensate for the skipped dose. Missing doses frequently makes your medication to be less effective in treating your condition. To avoid frequent missing of doses, set the alarm or have a family member remind you when it is time to take your next medication.
Some precautions should be considered before and while using Dexorange. The precautions include:
- Do not take Dexorange if you are allergic to any of the active ingredients.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to be pregnant and if you are a breastfeeding mother as Dexorange should be used with caution in these conditions.
- Educate your doctor of all medications and products you are using to avoid drug interactions that may be fatal.
- Dexorange should be used with a meal or after a meal to prevent stomach upset.
- Dexorange should be used with caution if you have liver disease or renal disease, in severe cases, your doctor can adjust the dose.
- Do not increase the prescribed dosage of Dexorange or reduce it. Take it as prescribed by your doctor and spaces your treatments evenly.
- Do not take Dexorange that has expired. Expired medication has reduced potency and may be less effective in treating your condition. Always check the package for expiry date during purchasing of the medication.
- Dexorange should be stored away from sunlight and heat. Also keep it away from pets and children.
- Using Dexorange may make you dizzy or drowsy if you experience these side effects do not take part in activities that require mental alertness such as driving and operation of heavy machinery.
- Do not use alcohol while taking Dexorange as it may increase the chances of a bad reaction to the medication occurring and cause excess drowsiness and calmness.
- Taking folic acid alone for the treatment of megaloblastic anemia and pernicious anemia is not the best therapy.
- If you query pernicious anemia and it has not been diagnosed, taking doses of Folic acid above 0.1 mg in a day like in Dexorange may prevent its diagnosis.
- Dexorange should be used cautiously if you have weakened eye nerve, waste blood buildup and had an infection.
- Do not take water along with Dexorange syrup.
- DeXorange should be used cautiously with diabetics as it affects blood sugar levels. Close monitoring of blood levels of sugar is recommended.
- While taking Dexorange syrup, use a proper measuring device for the medication and not the normal household spoon. The medication comes with a measuring cup inside.
- Shake Dexorange syrup well before takin to ensure that the mixture is well mixed up.
- If your symptoms persist or get worse while using Dexorange, report it to your doctor for a review of your condition.
Different Brands and Manufacturing Companies of the Drug
Dexorange is manufactured by Franco –Indian Pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is manufactured in the form of a syrup. Other brands manufactured by Franco – India Pharmaceuticals Ltd include:
- Dexorange capsule that contains 160 mg Ferric Ammonium Citrate, 7.5 mcg Vitamin B 12, 0.5 mg Folic Acid and 20.61 mg Zinc Sulphate.
- Dexorange Pediatric syrup that contains Ferric Ammonium Citrate, Folic Acid, and Cyanocobalamin.
Substitutes of the Drug
Substitute drugs that have the same composition and work as Dexorange include:
- Ferrochelate – Albert David Limited
- Feripro – Cachet Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Hb-Rich – Merind Ltd
- Haematinga – Inga Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Gynae CVP capsule – USV limited
- Astyfer Z capsule – Tablets India Limited
- Pratidin capsule – Shine Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Softeron capsule – Ariston Pharmaceuticals
- B Tone capsule – Medley Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Fefol capsule – Glaxo Pharma
- New Cheri capsule – Und Chemie
- Pratidin capsule – shine Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Tonoferon SF capsule – East India Pharmaceuticals Works Limited
- Softeron Z capsule – Aristo Pharmaceuticals
- Alamin Fez capsule – Albert David Limited
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas