Drotin DS is a muscle relaxant used to prevent muscle spasms. It is also used for relieving pain. Drotin DS contains Drotaverine. Drotin DS is used in the management, preventing and treating the following conditions and symptoms:
- Menstruation pain
- Abdominal pain
- Stomach cramps
- Pain due to liver diseases
- Chest pain
- Bowel disorder
- Renal colic pain
- Gallstone pain
- Relieving cervical muscle spasms due to labor
- Muscular dystrophy
- Muscle spasms of the heart
- Surgical spasms after surgery
- Post-dilatation and curettage
- Pain due to ulcers
Do I need a prescription?
Drotin DS can be bought from pharmacies and drug stores close to you and also from online drug stores. But a doctor’s prescription is mandatory.
The dosage for Drotin DS depends on the condition being treated, the severity, your health condition, reaction to the initial dose and age. The recommended dosage is:
- Adults: 40 mg -80 mg three times a day
- Children above age 6 years: 40 mg three times a day.
- Children from age 1-6 years: 20 mg three or four times a day.
Drotin DS is manufactured as a tablet and a liquid suspension. Drotin DS contains one active ingredient:
80 mg Drotaverin Hydrochloride
Facts on Drotin
- It takes about 30 minutes for the onset of action of Drotin DS once administered.
- The effects of Drotin DS can last up to 4 hours.
- Drotin DS is well-absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and transported while bound by proteins.
- Drotin DS is metabolized by the liver and mainly excreted through bile.
- The half-life for excretion of Drotin DS from the body of 7 to 12 hours.
- Drotin DS should not be used for long periods of time as it can cause an addiction.
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
Drotin DS is an antispasmodic, it works by preventing muscles contraction. The active ingredient Drotaverin exerts its action by inhibiting of an enzyme phosphodiesterase 4 that hydrolyzes cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP). This results in an increase in cyclic AMP lowering the uptake of calcium ions. This causes redistribution of calcium ions. Also, Drotaverine has minor allosteric activities thus might block calcium ion channels. The decreased calcium ions cause smooth muscles to relax relieving muscle spasms.
The use of Drotin DS is not recommended for use if you have some underlying medical conditions. When used it increases the chances of side effects occurring or worsening of the condition. Inform your doctor of all medical conditions you have or have had before as they may affect the prescription. The following conditions and symptoms are contraindicated for Drotin DS:
- Severe hepatic impairment
- Severe kidney disease
- Cardiac dysfunction such as arrhythmia
- Have been bedridden for a long time or bedridden
- Have a scheduled surgery
- Allergic reaction to the active ingredient in Drotin DS
- Increased blood lipid levels
- Gallbladder disease
- Breast cancer history
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome
- Just given birth
- Lactating Mothers. Drotin should be used with caution as the effects on the nursing baby have not been established.
- Pregnancy or planning to conceive. Drotin DS should be used with caution as its safety is not established.
- Drotin DS should not be used in children below the age of one year.
- Older adults. Drotin DS should be used with caution.
- Genetic disorders of the skin such as systemic lupus erythematosus
- Hereditary angioedema
- Blood clot formation in the body
Drotin DS causes some unintended effects when used. The side effects do not occur in everyone. They depend on the dosage and duration of use. The side effects can be common and less serious and can go away on their own while others are rare and very serious. Report any side effects you experience to your doctor for medicals advice especially if they do not go away. The common side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- A headache
- Sleep disorder
Rare and serious side effects include:
- Changes in pulse rate
- Reduction of blood pressure
- Blood dyscrasias
- Allergic skin reactions
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty breathing
- Allergic reactions
In case you suffer an allergic reaction to Drotin DS, inform your doctor or seek medicals attention and discontinue the use the medication. Allergic reactions signs include difficulty in breathing, swelling of tongues, throat, face, lips, hands, feet, and rashes on the skin, itching, wheezing, coughing, skin discolorations on the face and neck and loss of consciousness.
If you accidentally take an overdose of Drotin DS, report it to your doctor or rush into the emergency center of the nearest hospital. Carry the medication package with you for identification. Taking an overdose can cause the occurrence of side effects due to toxicity. The signs of Drotin DS overdose include a severe rash, stomach discomfort, nausea, vomiting, an increase in heart rate or falling of the blood pressure.
Taking more than two drugs at the same time can result in drug interactions. Drug interactions can modify the way your medication functions, reduce or increase its levels in blood or that of the other drugs and this can result in side effects occurring that can be fatal. Inform your doctor of all medications you are using, both over the counter and prescription drugs, dietary supplements and herbal preparations or products as they could affect your prescription. The following medications and products interact with Drotin DS:
- Analgesics such as Diclofenac
- Antimuscarinics such as anti-parkinson’s medications
What to Do If You Skip a Dose?
If you skip a dose, take it as soon as you realize it. If it close to the time for your next dose, you can skip it and take the next dose then continue with the normal schedule. However, do not double the dose to compensate for the skipped dose. Doubling the dose can cause symptoms of an overdose. Avoid missing doses, when frequently missed the effectiveness of the medication is reduced in curing your condition. To avoid missing doses set a reminder or have a family member remind you when it is time for your next dose.
A number of precautions need to be considered before you begin using Drotin DS and while using. The precautions include:
- Allergic reactions: Do not take Drotin DS if you are allergic to the active ingredient.
- Pregnancy or planning to get pregnant: Drotin DS should be used only when the benefits outweigh the risks as it crosses the placental barrier. Its effects on the growing fetus have not been conclusively established due to limited human trials.
- Breastfeeding mothers should use Drotin DS cautiously as its effects on the nursing baby are not well known. Drotin DS can also affect the amount of milk being produced and milk quality.
- Inform your doctor of all medications you are currently using or have been using previously to avoid fatal reactions due to drug interactions.
- Inform your doctor of any medical conditions you have, or that run in your family to avoid reactions that are harmful from occurring.
- Drotin DS should be taken with food or without. But to avoid acid reflux, it is advised to be administered after a meal.
- Always take the doses of Drotin DS at fixed time intervals to ensure a given amount of the drug is maintained in the blood at all times.
- Drotin DS should be stored away from heat, direct sunlight and at room temperature. It should not be frozen and be away from children and pets.
- Drotin DS causes a drop in blood pressure thus to be used cautiously if you have diseases of the heart.
- Drotin DS should not be used if you have severe kidney and liver diseases or heart diseases.
- Drotin DS should not be used in neonates.
- Drotin DS should be used cautiously in the elderly due to reduced organ functions.
- Avoid the use of alcohol while taking Drotin DS as it increases the occurrence of side effects.
- In case Drotin DS causes drowsiness and vertigo, avoid participating in activities that require mental alertness such as driving and operation of heavy machinery.
- Do not DrotinDS that has already expired. Always check the package for expiry date when purchasing the medication. Expired medication has reduced effectiveness and may cause toxicity.
- Avoid long exposure to sunlight while taking Drotin DS. Take it for the prescribed duration and do not increase or lower the dosage.
Alternative Brands and Different Manufacturing Companies of the Drug
Drotin DS is manufactured by Walter Bushnell Pvt Ltd. Drotin DS is manufactured as tablets, as a suspension and injection. Drotin DS tablets contain 80 mg of Drotaverine. It is also manufactured with different strengths and with combination with other active ingredients that include:
- Drotin M tablet contains 80 mg Drotaverine and 250 mg Mefenamic acid
- Drotin tablet contains 40 mg Drotaverine
- Drotin injection contains 40 mg Drotaverine
- Drotin Plus tablet contains 80 mg Drotaverine and 500 mg Paracetamol/Acetaminophen
- Drotin A tablet contains 80 mg Drotaverine and 100 mg Aceclofenac
- Drotin DS suspension contains 20 mg/5 ml
Substitutes of the drug
Substitutes of Drotin DS that contain the same composition and strength include:
- Dvn 80 mg tablet – Overseas Health care Pvt Ltd
- Decolic (New) tablet – Kontest Chemicals Limited
- Spasmokom DS tablet – Kontest Chemicals Limited
- Amuscar tablet – Befam Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Drovotas 80 mg tablet – Tas Med India Pvt Ltd
- Drot DS 80 mg tablet – Mapra Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Ms Spa 80 mg tablet – Astrum Healthcare Pvt Ltd
- Altaverin 80 mg tablet – Alred Health Care
- Dotarin DS 80 mg tablet – Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Doverin 80 mg tablet – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Drotikind 80 mg tablet – Mankind Pharma Ltd
- Drotamet 80 mg tablet – Ikon Remedies Pvt Ltd
- Isoverin 80 mg tablet – Man Cop Remedies
- Spasorid tablet – Sissma Lifesciences Pvt Ltd
- Delcolic 80 mg tablet – Kontest Chemicals
- Drover 80 mg tablet – Svizera Healthcare
- Drivotas 80 mg tablet – Tasmed
- Entalysin – Meridian Enterprises
- Trospa 80 tablet – Dr. Reddys Laboratories Ltd
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas