Last Updated December 20th, 2021
T Bact ointment is an antibiotic topically used to treat skin infections caused by bacteria. It is infective against fungal and viral skin infections. T Bact ointment can also be applied to wounds and cuts to prevent the occurrence of infections. T Bact ointment is used to manage and treat the following conditions:
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Dermatosis that is infected such as eczema
- Traumatic infected lesions such as bites from insects, abrasions, wounds, and burns that are minor.
Do I Need a Prescription?
T Bact ointment can be bought from pharmacies close to you and from online drug stores but a doctor’s prescription is mandatory.
The dosage and duration of use of T Bact ointment depend on the response to the medication. The recommended dosage for use is to apply a small amount of T Bact ointment to cover the affected areas. This is done twice or thrice a day for a duration of 10 days.
Before applying the ointment, clean the affected area and dry it. After the application of T Bact ointment, gauze can be used to cover the affected area.
The active ingredient in T Bact ointment is:
Mupirocin 2% of the total weight
Mupirocin also contains other pseudomonic acids including pseudomonic acid A, pseudomonic acid B, pseudomonic acid C, and Pseudomonic acid D.
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
T Bact ointment is an antibacterial effective against Gram-positive bacteria and a few gram-negative bacteria. At low concentrations, Mupirocin has bacteriostatic properties while at high concentrations Mupirocin has bactericidal activities.
T Bact ointment works by preventing the production of some proteins by the bacteria. It does this by binding to an enzyme Isoleucyl Transfer RNA-synthetase. When transfer RNA is not synthesized, proteins synthesis stops. Protein not being synthesized makes the bacteria to die as they no longer can grow resulting in healing effects of the ointment.
T Bact ointment active ingredient Mupirocin works in a unique way and has a unique structure. For these reasons, it does not show cross-resistance to other antibiotics that are clinically available. Thus the ointment has limited resistance.
The use of T Bact ointment is contraindicated in anumber of situations. This is because when used it can worsen the existing medical condition or result in the occurrence of side effects. The following are the contraindications of T Bact ointment:
- T Bact should not be used if you are allergic to the active ingredient or to polyethylene glycol.
- Children under the age of two years.
- A renal impairment that may be severe or moderate
- T Bact ointment should not be used for intranasal and ophthalmic purposes, together with a cannulate and at central venous cannulation sites.
- Once applied on the site of infection, T Bact remains active at the site for up to 12 hours.
- T Bact ointment can only be used topically. When administered orally or through an injection it is immediately metabolized into a non-active product.
- The time taken for T Bact ointment to show its effectiveness is yet to be established.
- T Bact ointment is generally considered to be safe for use during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
- T Bact ointment does not affect the fertility of the patient.
- T Bact ointment is poorly absorbed when taken orally in the gastrointestinal tract but absorbed well through the skin.
Apart from the intended effects of T Bact ointment, it can also cause undesirable effects. The side effects depend on individual response to the medication and the duration of use. The side effects could be common and less serious and will go away on their own while others are rare and very serious. Report to your doctor any side effects you might experience especially if they do not go away. Some of the side effects can occur at the site of application. The common side effects of T Bact ointment include:
- Burning sensation
- Peeling of skin
Rare side effects include:
- Tingling sensation
- Dryness and stinging at the application area
- Lumpy rash
If you have an allergic reaction to T Bact ointment, immediately inform your doctor. Signs of an allergic reaction include:
- Swelling of the lips, throat, face, and tongue
- Difficulty breathing
In case you use an overdose of T Bact ointment contact your doctor or rush into an emergency center of the nearest clinic if it causes severe reactions to the medication. Carry the medication package with you from identification. An overdose of T Bact ointment can cause inflammation, rashes, redness and a burning sensation.
When more than two medications are used at the same time, drug interactions can occur. Drug interactions make the drug to be less effective or result in adverse reactions. Inform your doctor of all medications you are using or have been using previously both prescription drugs and over the counter drugs, dietary supplements, and herbal products. T Bact ointment interacts with the following products:
- T Bact ointment is not known to interact with any products.
What to Do If You Skip a Dose
When a dose of T Bact ointment is missed, apply the medication as soon as you realize it. If it is close to the next dose, skip it and apply the next dose then continue with the normal schedule. Do not double the application dose to compensate for the skipped dose. Frequent missing of doses makes the medication less effective. Set a reminder for when you are to take the next dose or have a family member remind you when it is time.
A number of precautions need to be considered before you use T Bact ointment. The precautions include:
- Allergic reactions : Do not use T Bact ointment if you have allergic reactions to the active ingredient Mupirocin.
- T Bact should not be used in children below the age of two.
- T Bact should be used with caution in individuals that have a liver impairment.
- T Bact ointments should not be applied in mucosal surfaces of the eye, if the ointment enters the eyes, wash with a lot of water to remove the ointment residues. Avoid contact of nose and mouth with the ointment.
- T Bact should not be used in the case that your open wounds and burns are extensive, have skin irritation or sunburns.
- T Bact has not been shown to have an effect on nursing babies. But it should be used with caution as no evidence on the effects in human studies is conclusive. Caution should be exercised to prevent the applied site from coming into contact with the nursing baby, as T Bact ointment is contraindicated in babies.
- During the administration of T Bact ointment, avoid pilling but make use of a thin layer. This can be achieved by applying small quantities of the ointment.
- T Bact ointment when used for 3 to 5 days and you do not see an improvement in the skin condition, consult your doctor as the medication may not be working as expected. T Bact ointment should not be used for durations longer than ten days.
- If you are pregnant or planning to be pregnant. Inform your doctor for advice. But T Bact has not shown any harm to the fetus in animal studies but should be used cautiously as no enough human studies have been done to be conclusive.
- Always wash your hands before you apply the ointment and after applications.
- Do not use other products in the area in which you have applied T Bact ointment. And refrain from washing the site of the application once you have applied the ointment.
- T Bact does not cause drowsiness or dizziness and thus will not affect your ability to operate heavy machinery or drive. T Bact ointment does not interact with alcohol.
- Do not use T Bact ointment that has expired. Expired medication has reduced effectiveness and may not cure the condition it has been prescribed for. Thus advised to check the medication package before buying to know whether it is expired or not.
- T Bact ointment should be stored at room temperature, away from sunlight and heat. Do not freeze the cream.
- Inform your doctor of all medications you are using so as to prevent drug interactions and all medical conditions you have and have had previously to avoid adverse reactions due to conditions in which the ointment is contraindicated such as liver impairment.
- T Bact ointment should not be used for the management of acne problems.
- Use of antibiotics for long durations can cause an imbalance in body micro-organisms. Report to your doctor if you experience severe diarrhea, although this rarely occurs.
Different Brands and Manufacturing Companies of the Drug
T Bact ointment is manufactured by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is manufactured in compressible tubes. It is manufactured as 5 mg. Other products from GlaxoSmithKline include:
- Bactroban ointment 5 mg
- T Bact cream 7.5 mg
- Bactroban ointment 7.5 mg
Substitutes of the Drug
Substitutes of T Bact ointment with the same composition and strength include:
- Mupinase ointment 5 mg – Cipla Ltd
- Mopry ointment 5 mg – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Supirocin 2 % ointment 5 mg – Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Mupinase ointment 7.5 mg – Cipla Ltd
- B Bact 2 % ointment – Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Mupi ointment – Hedge and Hedge Pharmaceuticals LLP
- Mupimet ointment – Fourrts India Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Mpower ointment – Zydus Cadila
- K Bact ointment – Indi Pharma
- Mutop ointment – Dupen Laboratories Pvt Ltd
- Impycid ointment – Cutik Medicare Pvt Ltd
- T-Muce ointment – Leeford Healthcare Ltd
- Must Cream – Prism Life Sciences Ltd
- Mupiban ointment AGIO Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Mupicet ointment – Kivi Labs Ltd
- Brodisym ointment – Symbiosis Pharma
- Bactibade 2 % ointment – Novartis India Ltd
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas