Last Updated December 20th, 2021
This is a pain-relieving tablet or capsule that is indicated for different types of pain in the body such as headaches, mild migraines, menstrual cramps, and musculoskeletal pains. Other conditions for which this drug is indicated include the following:
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Sore throat
- Ear infections
- Blood clots
- Cold and flu
- Lumbago (back pains)
- Pains associated with no natural cause
- Postoperative pain
- Prevention of inflammation associated with back pain, arthritis, tension headaches, and migraines.
- Air cavities in and around the nose
- Periarthritis of scapulohumeral (arthritis characterized by difficulties in the movement of muscles and painful joints)
Do I need Prescription?
This is a prescription only medicine and never to be issued over the counter. This is because of varied conditions for different patients and needs for doctor assessment to determine the appropriateness of the specified dosage.
It has three main components that include:
- Aceclofenac (100mg),
- Paracetamol / Acetaminophen (15mg) and
- Serratiopeptidase (325mg).
Mechanism of Action (MOA)
Aceclofenac is classified under non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Paracetamol / Acetaminophen works as antipyretic, which means, they reduce or relieve fever in the body. These drugs work by interfering and blocking the production of some chemicals that are responsible for pain and fever in the body. Serratiopeptidase is an enzyme obtained from silkworm that is used to synthesize all unwanted proteins that are produced at the site of injury and by so doing, it relieves pain and improves healing especially at the site of injury of inflammation.
Paracetamol works by altering the function of brain “thermostat” that regulates body temperature, hence controlling fever. In relief of pain, Zerodol SP works by increasing the threshold of perception of pain and increased the flow of blood in the skin, helping in the dissipation of heat. The drug also blocks synthesis of proglanditin which produces cyclo-oxygenase in the body.
Most of the contraindications listed below are related to hypersensitivity to the drug, Zerodol SP.
- Hepatic (liver) disease
- Hypersensitivity or allergies to NSAIDs
- Blood clotting disorders
- Peptic ulcers
- Allergies related to Aceclofenac
Less serious and common side effects
Common side effects associated with the drug include the following:
- Stomach pains and upsets
- Loss of appetite or Anorexia
- Gas and/ or flatulence
- The feeling of being sick
- Blurred vision
- Muscle cramps
Serious side effects
These are severe and most of these are rarely reported.
- Liver damage
- Allergic reactions (resulting from constituent ingredients, especially paracetamol.
- Bloody or cloudy urine
- Mouth or stomach ulcers
- Shortness of breath
- Inflammation of skin
- Reddening of skin
- Nose bleeding
- Liver toxicity
- Blood dyscrasias
- Acute renal tubular necrosis
- Enuresis (bedwetting)
- Abnormal blood cells
- Reduction of white blood cells count
- Shaking or tremors
- Skin rash
- Unexplained tiredness
- Severe vomiting
- Jaundice or yellowing of skin or eyes
- Body spasms
These are foods, drinks, drugs or diseases that may interact with the drug to cause an unexpected reaction in the body. The following list of items below is not comprehensive.
- Lithium (severe effect)
- ACE inhibitors
- Ethanol corticosteroids
- Digoxin (severe)
- Antihypertensive medications
- Carbamazepine (moderate effect)
- Digoxin (severe)
- Leflunomide (severe)
- Prilocaine (severe)
- Sodium nitrite (severe)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
Liver disease: People with liver disease or have a family history of the disease should inform a doctor for close monitoring due to potential damage to the liver than Zeropol SP can pose. Watch out for any red flag symptoms such as dark urine, fever, nausea A doctor may need to adjust the dosage or find an alternative drug to minimize or alleviate these risks posed to the liver.
Alcohol: Zerodol SP has a severe interaction with alcohol which may result in other side effects such as nausea and may damage the liver. If you must take alcohol, find appropriate advice from a doctor to adjust the dose.
Asthma: Asthmatic people that are hypersensitive to NSAIDs should not take this drug due to potential severe reaction. Replacements are often recommended.
Gastrointestinal toxicity: Zerodol SP can have serious damage to the kidneys if used for a longer time. It is recommended for use on need-based only. Prolonged use can potentially damage internal organs such as liver, kidneys, cause chronic indigestion, cause duodenal ulceration, bloody stool among other effects. If such symptoms are spotted, they should be reported to a doctor for an emergency response.
There is no adequate information on the interaction of this drug with foods.
Zerodol SP can have an interaction with 5-HIAA urine test a lab technologist should be informed if you are taking this drug or other vitamin or herbal supplements before taking any test.
What if I Skip a Dose?
Take the missed immediately you remember but ensure there is significant spacing between two dosing schedules. If it is almost or already time for the next dose, take only one dose and resume the normal dose. Never take more than one dose at a time, it is an overdose which could be fatal.
Adult dosage is usually 1 to 2 Tablets per day taken with food.
- This drug should be taken with food to avoid or reduce stomach upsets
- Do not operate machinery or drive especially if you get side effects such as dizziness or loss of sleep. Refrain from these operations until you are stable and done with the dosage of this drug.
- You should not take any other drug containing these ingredients, such as acetaminophen for other purposes like relieving of pain, cough or fever. If you are uncertain, seek to advise from a doctor or qualified pharmacist issuing these drugs.
- Abstain from alcohol while taking this drug. This drug can cause liver damage if taken with alcohol. Taking alcohol with this drug worsen side effects such as dizziness, fatigue, body weakness, rashes, nausea. Joint pains or gastrointestinal bleeding
- Do not take the drug if you are pregnant although studies done on animals show that there is limited damage to the fetus. The drug can only be taken in cases where benefits are considered to outweigh risks involved.
- Consult a doctor if you have severe or active liver disease before taking Zerodol-SP to adjust appropriate dosage depending on assessed condition. This is because this drug can cause severe damage to the liver.
- Do not prolong the usage of this drug unless advised by a doctor. Long term use of this drug may result in other complications such as kidney impairment. This is because, under normal cases, kidneys produce prostaglandins to protect themselves but this can fail if the drug is taken over a long term.
- Do not take Zerodol-SP with other drugs or supplements not advised by a doctor
- It is advisable to avoid Zerodol-SP if you have a family history of ulcers or stomach bleeding.
- People with a medical history of heart disease or high blood pressure should avoid taking Zerodol-SP without first seeking medical attention from a doctor
- Taking Zerodol-SP for patients with liver disease is critical. Patients with active or severe damage or have a family history should seek medical advice before taking this drug.
- Ensure to store the drug from sunlight by storing in preferably a tightly closed container. This should be properly labeled for ease of identification and retrieval.
- This drug is meant for human consumption. It should never be used for veterinary or unintended purposes.
- Stick to the recommended dose by a dose, not more or less. Overdose can be fatal and these symptoms can include sweating, fast breathing, difficulties in breathing, hives, swelling of the face, lips or tongue. There can be unexplained bleeding and one gets unexplained extreme tiredness. Appetite goes low, stomach upsets can be experienced and skin may turn yellow. If these symptoms are noted, it should be considered an emergency and urgent medical assistance sought.
- Zerodol-SP can be taken with or without food
- Do not take this drug with Warfarin due to the risk of blood thinning. Seek medical advice in this case.
- ZerodolSP can have a serious effect on heart impairment
- Do not take it if you have or family history has gastrointestinal bleeding disorders. Medical advice should be sought if this is suspected.
- Patients recovering from surgery should not take this drug unless guided by a doctor
- Do not take more than 1000mg of Zerodol SP in a day. The maximum dosage frequencies should be four unless advised otherwise by a doctor
- It is not always advisable to share or give this medicine to children of less than 2 years. If you need to do so, consult a doctor for directions first.
- While taking this drug, avoid other over the counter drugs such those for the relief of cough or the common cold. There is a danger of using overdose as related products could contain a similar ingredient, especially paracetamol.
- Zerodol SP in a liquid form should be given using a provided graduated measuring cup and not a teaspoon. Shake the liquid before administration.
- If the drug is taken to relieve fever, avoid taking it if persist after three days if you have pain after 7 using it for 7 days and 5 for a child. You should stop and seek medical advice if you develop a skin rash, persistent headache, swelling or redness. Any other new developing symptoms should also be reported to a doctor.
- Be sure to inform your doctor if you are taking this drug before undertaking glucose lab test. Paracetamol is known to cause false lab tests. This is especially important for diabetics.
- Store drugs at room temperature and one in the refrigerator for the liquids to be administered via the rectum
Substitutes of the Drug
These are alternatives to Zerodol-SP that have similar composition, strength, and form and therefore can replace the drug. Below is a long list of alternatives but which is not comprehensive.
- Ascent Forte Tablet
- Astofen SP Tablet
- Axinac SP Tablet
- Bace SP Tablet
- Dolokind AA Tablet
- Dolostat SP Tablet
- Flozen AA Tablet
- Aceclo Sera Tablet
- Acecloren SP Tablet
- Acelo SP Tablet
- Aceo APS Tablet
- Acephar SP Tablet
- Acesoft SP Tablet
- Acevak Tablet
- Ace Proxyvon SP Tablet
- Afetan Tablet
- Alock SP Tablet
- Alock SP Tablet
- Anaflam XPS Tablet
- Polace PS Tablet
- Anaflam XPS Tablet
- Arflur 3D Tablet
- Cyclones SP Tablet
- Movace SP Tablet
- Moviz 3D Tablet
- Movon SP Tablet
- Osmozer SP Tablet
- Joydol SP Tablet
- Gudgesic AA Tablet
- Hifenac D Tablet
Additional facts about Zerodol-SP
- Zerodol-SP is classified under Non-Opioid Analgesics & Antipyretics
- 67% of users of Zerodol-SP took it twice a day, 19% took it once a day and 10% took it three times in a day.
- Of the users that were sampled, 65% did not have any side effect. 7% reported diarrhea, 4% constipation, and 2% epigastric pain
- 73%of users took it with food, 23% varied with or without food and only 2% took it on an empty stomach.
- The patient improvement was excellent at 33%, average at 40% and poor with 27% of users
- Users of this drug had these conditions: 35% dental pain, 26% pain, swelling 10%, fever 9%, and others 9%.
- If you experience nausea or do vomit, take this drug with milk, water or antacids to relieve these symptoms. Avoid fatty foods that tend to trigger this feeling.
- Take Zerodol-SP without food, on an empty stomach if you need fast action of the drug. This is because of the possibility of delayed absorption if taken with or after taking food.
- If you no longer have fever or pain, stop taking this drug. It is necessary to complete the dose if you get relief sooner. Take it on a need basis only.
- Most people experience some relief after one hour of taking this drug.
- Effects of the drug may last 12 to 16 hours
- The drugs can be taken safely without fear of habit forming
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas