Smegma is a lubricant that is necessary for maintaining…Read More
Ovarian cyst refers to the accumulation of pockets or sacs of fluid on the ovary or the surrounding membrane. The cysts can form on one or both ovaries. Most ovarian cysts are harmless and presents with little discomfort. Such cysts usually disappear on their own after a few months.
Pregnant women are at a higher risk of developing ovarian cysts. They are also common in women who have not reached menopause. In case a cyst gets bigger or recurs, this becomes problematic. Such cysts may also become painful. A ruptured cyst is also problematic because it might lead to serious problems. It is advisable for women of child bearing age to undergo pelvic exam regularly as this can help diagnose the symptoms early enough.
Most ovarian cysts do not present with any symptoms. Large cysts may however lead to:
- Abdominal heaviness or fullness
- Pelvic pain
Types of ovarian cysts
Functional cysts develop due to the menstrual cycle, and are by far the most common forms of ovarian cysts.
Functional cysts are of two kinds:
- Corpus luteum cyst: Once a follicle has released an egg, it produces two sex hormones that is, progesterone and estrogen. Such a follicle is referred to as corpus luteum. At times, an accumulation of fluid may occur inside such a follicle. When this happens, the corpus luteum turns into a cyst
- Follicular cyst: This type of cysts occurs when the follicles of your ovary fails to rupture . Consequently, there is no release of an egg. The follicles increased in size and transforms into a cyst.
Most functional cysts do not require any treatment. They rarely cause pain and are also harmless. Functional cysts usually disappear without the need for treatment in 2-3 menstrual cycles.
Besides functional cysts other common ovarian cysts are:
- Endometriomas: This kind of cyst develops due to the growth of uterine endometrial cells outside the uterus. When this happens, there is a likelihood of some tissues getting attached to the ovary. Consequently, a growth forms.
- Cystadenomas: This kind of cyst often develops on the surface of an ovary. Sometimes, a mucous or watery material fills up the surface of your ovary.
- Dermoid cysts: This type of ovarian cyst usually forms from the embryonic cells. It usually develops following the trapping of skin and skin structures at the stage of fetal development. However, dermoid ovarian cysts are rarely cancerous.
The treatment of ovarian cysts is determined by the type of cyst, stage of development, and whether there has been a recurrence of the same problem.
The following home remedies is helpful in treating ovarian cysts:
- Beetroot: The presence of betacyanin in beetroot aids in getting rid of toxins within the system. Also, beetroot has alkaline properties and this helps to attain an ideal acid-base balance in your body. This is essential for minimizing the severity of symptoms caused by ovarian cysts.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are advantageous in that they also assist with the flushing out of toxins from your body. This also helps in attaining the required estrogen levels in your body.
- Apple cider vinegar: This home remedy is essential for the dispersion and contraction of ovarian cysts brought about by a potassium deficiency. In addition, apple cider vinegar aids in minimizing bloating, and excessive menstrual bleeding. It can also ease cramps during menstrual period.
- Epsom salt: This home remedy minimizes the pain caused by ovarian cyst. It also aids in muscle relaxation due to the high content of magnesium sulfate. As a result, Epsom salt helps to relieve pain.
Homeopathy has proven to be a very efficient approach in terms of managing ovarian cyst symptoms. Some of the commonly practiced homeopathy treatments include:
- Arsenicum album: This homeopathic remedy is helpful to patients experiencing a burning sensation and pain in their ovaries. The remedy also helps to manage the irritability, and restlessness brought about by ovarian cysts
- Colocynthis: This medication is effective in treating ovarian cysts that is characterized by griping pain. Also, effective in the management of deep, stitching pain that manifests in the right ovarian region. Sometimes, the ovarian cyst may present with a generalized swelling. In this case, colocynthis is effective in the management of such a swelling
- Lachesis Muat: This homeopathic medicine is effective in the management of left ovarian cyst. Specifically, it helps to treat pain and sleeping on your left ovary
- Lycopodium Clavatum: The homeopathic medicine aids in the treatment of the right ovarian cyst. That usually manifests in a burning sensation. You are also likely to present with profuse and irregular periods abdominal bleeding, as well as pain during intercourse
To treat ovarian cysts, your doctors can recommend the use of birth control pills, among others types of hormonal contraceptives. The goal is to make sure that there is no recurrence of the ovarian cyst. It is important though, to note that birth control pills will not reduce the size of existing cysts. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may also be used in the treatment of ovarian cysts. Examples of NSAIDs that are widely used include ibuprofen. Such medication is also effective in reducing menstrual cramps.
When to consider surgery
Sometimes, non-surgical treatment may fail to cure ovarian cysts. For example, in case of large and recurrent ovarian cysts that do not exhibit any symptoms. For such types of ovarian cysts, it is important to undergo surgery.
Additionally, women who are near menopause may also require surgery to treat ovarian cysts. This is because there is a higher probability of such cysts being cancerous.
During surgery, your surgeon may only need to take out the cyst. At other times however, it may be necessary to remove the entire ovary, especially if the cyst is cancerous
Procedures/methods available under surgery
Some of the surgical procedures to treat ovarian cysts include:
This is by far the most common procedure for the surgical removal of ovarian cysts. Laparoscopy utilizes a keyhole surgery technique in which the surgeon makes small cuts in your tummy. Thereafter, the surgeon blows gas into your pelvis to allow access to the ovaries
The next stage of the procedure is passing a laparoscope into the abdomen. This is a tube-like small microscope. It contains a light on one end to enable the surgeon have a better view of your internal organs.
The surgeon removes the cysts via one of the small cuts made on your tummy
The cuts are thereafter closed with dissolvable stiches
The procedure is associated with less pain, while the recovery period is shorter. Most patient are discharged from hospital on the same day of surgery. It is thereafter a preferred surgical procedure to treat ovarian cysts.
This procedure is preferred when dealing with large cysts. This is because such cysts may turn out to be cancerous.
While performing this procedure, the surgeon makes a larger cut in your tummy to get a better view of the cyst
The surgeon will then proceed to remove the entire cyst or ovary. The cysts or ovary is subjected to further laboratory assessment to ascertain whether it is cancerous.
The incision is closed using staples or stitches. Patients who have undergone a laparotomy will require to remain in the hospital for several days post-op.
The procedure occurs under general anesthesia. The surgeon makes an umbilical incision of about 1 cm in diameter.
With the help of a needle, the surgeon inflates your abdominal cavity with 3-4 liters of carbon dioxide. The next step is to insert an optic tube known as a laparoscope into the abdomen.
The laparoscope is connected to a video camera to reflect your abdominal image on a monitor screen. The surgeon makes a hole in your pubic region, about 0.5 cm. to help in inserting tools for the procedure.
At the end of the laparoscope, the surgeon connects a laser system. Laser beam passes via an optic duct in the optic tube.
The instrument allows the surgeon to control laser energy and the surgeon can also stop bleeding using the laser equipment.
The procedure takes a very short time in comparison with the other surgical procedures. Also, you are more likely to recovery quickly after laser surgery relative to the other two procedures.
Small clinics have a shorter waiting time than large hospitals. This is because larger hospitals are more likely to attend to a higher number of patients in need of complex care. The level of convenience at a smaller clinic is greater than is the case with a large hospital.
Besides, you are more likely to be impacted positively by the care and attention offered at a small clinic. Consequently, the level of patient satisfaction with the healthcare facility increases. However, small clinics may lack enough expertise to perform ovarian cysts surgery. Also, some clinics may not be adequately equipped to handle some of the ovarian cyst surgical procedures.
If you elect to undergo surgery for ovarian cysts at a large hospital, you are likely to benefit from expertise of surgeons who have conducted hundreds of related procedures. This ensures that the procedure is safe. Another advantage of having surgery at a large hospital is that you are likely to pay far less than would be the case in a small clinic. This is especially the case with large public hospitals where the consultation and surgical fees are significantly waived.
On the other hand, large hospitals do not offer the personalized care and attention you would likely get at a small clinic. Moreover, you are likely to an increase in the waiting time at large hospitals as the surgeon may be involved in other surgical procedures that are highly complex.
Cost of ovarian cysts in different setups
The cost of ovarian cysts in India varies from one city to another. Some of the factors that determines the cost of ovarian cysts surgery include:
- Type of surgery: All surgical procedures are not the same in terms of cost. The cost of laparoscopy is different from that of laparotomy because the two procedures use different techniques.
- Length of stay in hospital: The more you stay in hospital during and after surgery, the more you are likely to pay
- Diagnostic tests and other tests: The cost of diagnostic tests will also increase the overall cost of surgery. Your doctor may order further tests depending on the type of ovarian cysts
- Medical amenities: Some health care facilities have better medical amenities than others and this will be reflected in the cost of surgery
- Surgeon’s fees: There is no uniform surgeon’s fees for ovarian cysts. The fee will differ depending on such factors as the consultation fee and the surgeon’s level of expertise
In Hyderabad, the lowest cost for ovarian cysts surgery is Rs. 32,760. However, at certain facilities, you can pay as much as Rs. 93, 750. In New Delhi, the average cost for an ovarian cyst surgery procedure is INR 55, 575.
In Bangalore and Mumbai, you can expect to pay a maximum of INR 1,80,000 and 1,95,000, respectively, for the same procedure.
Post op care
You are likely to feel pain around your tummy following the removal of an ovarian cyst. However, the pain will subside within a few days
You doctor will recommend painkillers such as dihydrocodeine or codeine to manage the pain. You may also have to remain in hospital for a few hours or overnight. During this time, the doctor will closely monitor your vitals such as blood pressure and urine output.
The procedure takes place under general anesthesia. As such, you will likely feel sleepy and tired for the initial 24 hours
The dressing used by your surgeon to close the cuts will likely be removed a day after surgery. The dissolvable stiches will however dissolve on their own
After the dressing has been removed, you can begin to take a shower or bath. It is not unusual to bleed from your vagina for the initial 1-2 days following surgery
There are various healthcare providers in India who can help in getting proper diagnosis and treatment. One such healthcare provider is goficure. We will assist you get the highly discounted appointments with leading experts in ovarian cysts surgery in India. We also assist you to get your insurance claim processed.
Help Others Be Fit