Last Updated December 20th, 2021
Brief introduction on piles
Piles (or hemorrhoids) is a condition where the veins of your anus and lower rectum get engorged and swollen. It is a common condition in India, affecting an estimated 10 million individuals each year. Piles differ in size. Internal piles are located a few centimeters above your anal opening, while external piles are located outside the edge of your anus. Most people present with mild piles, meaning that there may be no symptoms. However, when the condition manifests in symptoms, they might include:
- Bright red blood after you have passed stool
- Bigger piles that protrude while you are passing stool
- A feeling as though your bowels are full even after having a bowel movement
- Redness, itchiness and sometimes, soreness around your anus
In severe cases, piles can lead to fecal incontinence, whereby one no longer has control over a stool. They can also lead to an anal fistula. Excessive anal bleeding further predisposes you to anemia, while the risk of infection also rises.
Most health experts have identified increased pressure in your lower rectum as the cause of piles. This causes stretching of blood vessels around your rectum and anus and hence, bulging and swelling. Some of the risk factors for bulged and swollen blood vessels include:
Older people are also at a higher risk of piles while the conditions can also be inherited.
Stages of piles
Piles falls into four main stages:
- Grade 1: These are small swellings that usually form on the inner lining of your anal canal. Grade 1 piles are by far the most common forms of piles. You cannot feel or see Grade 1 piles outside your anal opening. If not treated, Grade 1 piles can grow further and become grade 2
- Grade 2: These are larger swellings in comparison with grade 1. They can be partially pushed from outside your anus while having a bowel movement. However, they will go back inside unaided as soon as you have had the bowel movement
- Grade 3: These are much bigger piles that bulge out of your anal canal while you are having a bowel movement. While grade 3 piles cannot go back inside the anus on their own, you can nonetheless, push them back using your finger. Grade 3 piles present with such symptoms as mucous discharge and bleeding
- Stage 4: These piles are much larger piles that hang out of your anal canal. Unlike stage 3 piles, these piles you cannot push back stage 4 piles inside your anus with manually, such as by using a finger
Different piles treatments available in Bangalore
Enlarged hemorrhoids need to be treated since they deteriorate with time. There are various treatment options available in Bangalore for managing piles, such as diet, creams, gels, anti-inflammatory pain killers, and surgery.
Patients in Bangalore can avail of creams like hydrocortisone. This is a steroid form of medication. Just like a gel, creams aid in managing pain and itching but it is not a cure for piles. The cream should be applied several times in a day. You need to apply the cream as soon as you wake up and each time you have a bowel movement. You should also apply the cream just before going to bed. It is important that you follow all the advice from your doctor or pharmacist, while applying the cream. Avoid using hydrocortisone beyond the time recommended by your doctor as prolonged usage is associated with thinning of the skin. Moreover, hydrocortisone contains a local anesthetic that can be sensitive to your skin.
Piles can also be treated using a gel known as hemorrhoidal cooling gel. This is a decongestant, easily available for piles treatment in Bangalore. Its role is to shrink the blood vessels in your anal cavity. The gel relieves irritation, itching and swelling brought about by piles. It is important that you follow all the directions for the medication as indicated on the label. It is recommended to apply the gel after having a bowel movement. You can apply it up to a maximum of 4 times daily. Avoid placing the gel inside the rectum.
This is traditional form of treatment for piles with its roots in India and piles treatment in Bangalore includes this. Ayurvedic treatment has since become popular globally as a complementary therapy. Ayurvedic treatment is a holistic practice that combines lifestyle changes and herbal remedies. The treatment plan may also encompass a minimally invasive procedure. Before administering the treatment, your Ayurvedic practitioner starts by assessing your overall health. This is important as it allows him or her to establish your dominant body type, or dosha. There are three dominant doshas in Ayurvedic: air (vatta), fire (pitta), and water (kapha). Individuals who are vata are likely to manifest in constipation, and severe pain. The hemorrhoids have a hard and rough texture and are black in color.
Individuals who are pitta manifest in bleeding and inflamed hemorrhoids. Such hemorrhoids tend to be red and soft and may as well present with diarrhea and fever
Individuals with kapha have slippery hemorrhoids that are quite larger but soft. They may also present with poor digestion.
Some of the options available for piles treatment in Bangalore for an Ayurvedic approach to treating hemorrhoids include:
- Medication: In case of minor hemorrhoids, these can be treating using medication alone. Such medication is dependent on your doshas plus your Ayurvedic practitioner can recommended lifestyle and dietary changes to avoid piles recurrence
- Herbal application: Piles can also be managed using kshara. This is an alkaline paste with a cauterizing agent. Your Ayurvedic practitioner applies this herbal supplement using a device known as a slit proctoscope. The kshara works by charring the piles.
Piles can also be managed effectively using homeopathic medication. Such medication, easily available for piles treatment in Bangalore, also assists in in managing some of the symptoms associated with piles, including bleeding, pain, and itching. Homeopathic treatment targets the root causes of your piles thereby minimizing the likelihood or recurrence and relapse. Homeopathy has been shown to be very effective in treating Grade 1 and 2 piles while also affording relief for symptoms caused by grade 3 piles.
Piles treatment in Bangalore for patients with grade 4 symptoms also includes a combination of homeopathy with other medication or surgery for relief from the condition. There are various homeopathic remedies available for treating piles, including graphite, sulphur and arsenic album. You must avoid self-treatment because the constitutional prescription of homeopathic medicines calls for expert intervention.
Rubber band ligation
During this procedure, your doctor will tie off the hemorrhoid at the base using rubber bands. In this way, the procedure aids in cutting off the flow of bloods to the piles. It is worthy of note that rubber band ligation is only applicable in the treatment of internal hemorrhoids.
To perform the procedure, your doctor begins by inserting an anoscope into your anus. This instrument allows the doctor to have a better view of your hemorrhoids. The doctor then gets hold of the hemorrhoids using an instrument and a rubber band is placed around the base. By cutting off blood supply to the hemorrhoid, it will shrink and eventually die. The hemorrhoid falls off after about 7 days.
The hemorrhoid leaves in place a scar that holds off adjacent veins. This ensures that such veins do not bulge into your anal canal.
The procedure is simple and fast and is often conducted in your doctor’s office. Your doctor will ask you if the rubber bands are very tight. In case of severe pain form the tied rubber bands your doctor may have to inject the banded hemorrhoids. This causes the numbing of such hemorrhoids.
Following the procedure, you are likely to experience a fullness sensation in your lower abdomen. You may also feel pain Your doctor can only treat a maximum of two hemorrhoids at a go. If you have several hemorrhoids, your doctor may have to conduct several of these procedures at intervals of about 4 weeks
When should you go for surgery?
While non-surgical techniques such as lifestyle changes, gels, creams, and Ayurvedic treatment have proven effective in treating certain types of piles, other types require a surgical procedure. This is especially the case with piles that are closest to your anus. Such piles are very close to pain-sensing nerves. If we were to employ non-surgical techniques, the procedure would be very uncomfortable and painful for you.
Large hemorrhoids require to be removed via surgical means. Additionally, it may be necessary to undergo a surgical procedure to remove piles that are characterized by continuous or severe pain as a result of a blot clot in one of the blood vessels. When this happens, we talk of a thrombosed hemorrhoid.
The main surgical procedures for treating piles include:
This technique available for piles treatment in Bangalore, has found use in treating prolapsed hemorrhoids. However, stapling is associated with a slightly higher risk for complications relative to the other surgical procedures. For this reason, its usage has reduced. During the procedure, your doctor will usually staple the last part of your large intestine. This causes a reduction in the amount of blood being supplied to the hemorrhoids. Consequently, the hemorrhoids will start to shrink.
Stapling further reduces the risk of the hemorrhoids prolapsing. This procedure has proven to have a faster rate of recovery compared to other surgical procedures such as hemorrhoidectomy. The post-operative pain following this procedure is also significantly less. Most patients are able to resume their work after about a week of recovery.
The procedure entails the surgical removal of external or internal piles. It is conducted under general anesthetic. The procedure is highly effective in treating hemorrhoids, especially the most severe ones. The most widely applied technique for piles treatment in Bangalore is known as closed hemorrhoidectomy. During this procedure, your doctor uses a laser or sharp instruments to excise the hemorrhoids. Thereafter, your surgeon uses suture to close the wounds.
After surgery, your surgeon will recommend that you take sitz baths as they promote blood flow while also reducing inflammation. Moreover, sitz baths are associated with improved hygiene. Your surgeon can also recommend mild painkillers to relieve pain post-surgery. Take a lot of fluids and food high in dietary fibers, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. This improves your bulk movement and hence, avoid constipation. Hemorrhoidectomy tends to be highly successful in majority of the cases. However, like all other surgical procedure, there could be potential complications such as:
- Infection in your urinary tract
- Fecal impaction
- Loss of control over your bowel movement
- Urinary retention
The procedure is associated with the best outcomes in the long term although the post-operative pain is more severe than the other surgical procedures. Besides, the recurrence of hemorrhoids is lowest relative to the other procedures.
Your surgeon may also elect to perform open hemorrhoidectomy. During this procedure, your surgeon administers general anesthetic before excising the hemorrhoids. The surgeon does not close the wound once the hemorrhoids have been removed. The technique uses suitable for awkwardly or extensive hemorrhoids. In such a case, it is very difficult to close the incision.
Hemorrhoidal artery ligation
Your surgeon may also elect to perform hemorrhoidal artery ligation as an alternative surgical procedure for treating hemorrhoids. The overarching objective of this procedure is to reduce the flow of blood to the hemorrhoids.
Your doctor will often place an ultrasound probe inside your anus. The purpose of this probe is to helps in locating the blood vessels that feed your hemorrhoids. Once located, your surgeon closes the blood vessels by stitching them up, effectively blocking the blood supply. This causes the hemorrhoid to shrink. The procedure is also effective in treating prolapsed hemorrhoids sticking out of your anus.
Unlike the other surgical procedure, hemorrhoidal artery ligation is associated with less post-operative pain. Additionally, most patients tend to be extremely satisfied with the outcome, while the rate of recovery is also faster. The procedure is also associated with a reduced risk of bleeding and pain while passing stool.
Laser Vs conventional surgery
Besides conventional surgery, piles treatment in Bangalore also includes laser surgery. This is a recent and more advanced, minimally invasive treatment in which the surgeon applies laser beam on piles to on swollen hemorrhoids, resulting in their shrinkage. The laser beam is directed at the swollen hemorrhoids only and hence there is no damage to the adjacent tissues. There are various benefits for using laser surgery for piles in comparison with the conventional techniques such as:
- Minimal loss of blood: Laser piles surgery is a minimally invasive procedure. The surgeon cuts and seals piles using a laser beam. This leads to limited blood loss from the vessels and blood tissues. Sealing of the incision using laser beam further reduces the risk of infection
- Faster procedure: laser technology as used in the surgical removal of piles is a swifter procedure when compared to conventional procedures. You surgeon will take about 30 minutes to completely remove piles and seal them incision. You will be allowed to go home a few hours after the procedure
- Faster recovery: Recovery from laser piles surgery is also faster than in conventional surgery. This is because the technique is associated with minimal blood loss. The risk of infection is also greatly reduced. Typically, individuals who have undergone laser piles surgery can go back to work 1-week post-surgery
- Reduced risk of damaging adjacent tissues: The laser beam targets piles only. In case the procedure is performed by a highly experienced laser surgeon, the risk of damaging adjacent tissues is greatly reduced
- High level or precision: This is because the laser beam is thin and therefore it is directly targeted at the piles that needs shrinking
Despite the many benefits of laser piles surgery, there is also a downside to this technique. Some of the disadvantages associated with piles treatment using laser include:
Laser surgery is a bit expensive compared to most of the conventional surgeries. This is because the equipment involved is expensive
Cost of laser surgery for piles
The cost for laser piles treatment ranges between Rs. 40,000 and Rs. 70,000. Laser surgery is a bit more expensive compared to most of the conventional surgeries. This is because the equipment involved is expensive. Some of the factors that contribute to this cost include:
- Doctor’s fee: The consultation fee is usually paid upfront. The fee varies depending on the level of skill and experience of your doctor. Usually specialists and surgeons consulting or performing surgery for piles treatment in Bangalore are extremely busy , it is good to fix an appointment.
- Diagnostic tests: There are many laboratories in Bangalore performing diagnostic tests for piles. The type of diagnostic tests that your doctor ordered will further push the cost of piles laser treatment
- Severity of diseases: The price for laser surgery to treat piles is dependant on a number of factors. If the patient manifests with severe symptoms and an advanced stage of piles, then the cost is higher. A laser procedure to treat grade 3 or grade 4 piles is relatively higher in comparison with grade 1 and grade 2. When the disease has advanced to these stages, there could be more complications and risks during the surgical procedure. Consequently, the surgeon needs to be highly skilled and experienced and hence the rise in cost
- Hospital charges: Different hospitals for piles treatment in Bangalore have different charges for their hospital beds. If you opt for a private ward, the cost will be higher than if you are staying in a general ward. When the surgeon’s costs also add up, the total cost may appear to be very high.
- Location: Laser piles surgery differs from one Indian state to another. . For instance the cost of laser piles surgery in Bangalore is lesser as compared to other cities. This is because it is more popular in Bangalore as compared to other cities. The average cost for treating piles using a laser surgery in Bangalore is Rs. 57,000. In Hyderabad and Pune, the average cost ins higher at Rs. 66,000 and Rs. 70,000, respectively
Once your doctor has established that you will need to undergo surgical procedure to treat piles, you can choose to have surgery at your doctor’s office. There are many clinics and hospitals in Bangalore that are in a position to perform a simple procedure in their clinics. Alternatively, the procedure can be done at a bigger private or public hospital. Each of these choices has its own advantages and disadvantages
If you elect to undergo surgery at a small clinic, some of the benefits include:
- The procedure could be completed quickly because there are not many other patients
- You will be released to go home on the same day as this is an outpatient facility
- You will receive personalized care from your doctor and the assistants
However, getting a surgical procedure at a small clinic can have its fair share of disadvantages:
- The surgeon might require higher expertise or skills than he or she possesses
- The clinic may lack in some of the equipment needed to perform the procedure effectively and safely
- Although the surgery is less risky, the ability of a small facility to handle complications needs to be ascertained
- The small facility may also be under staffed, have fewer equipments and may feel challenged to handle complications.
If you choose to undergo surgery at a big hospital for piles treatment in Bangalore, you will have access to more equipment for proper diagnosis and treatment. You also have access to a team of medical experts whose experience and skills will contribute significantly towards ensuring the procedure is effective and safe. Most leading hospitals in Bangalore have eminent surgeons and gastroenterologists that have many years of experience in handling complex cases of hemorrhoids.
On the other hand, there could be delays at a big hospital because of the large number of patients in need of similar services. You are also less likely to get personalized care and attention as you would like because your surgeon and nurse has to see other patients as well.
Best option for piles surgery
Laser surgery remains by far the most effective treatment for piles. This is because it is a minimally invasive procedure and is hence is the preferred option by patients and physicians for piles treatment in Bangalore. Laser surgery is also very convenient, seeing as it can be conducted as an outpatient procedure. It is highly advanced and leaves less room for complications such as bleeding or infection. With laser technology, the surgeon is able to focus on the tissue that needs treatment. This form of surgery is high on precision and ensures the adjacent tissues are not affected. What laser surgery brings to the patients in the treatment of piles is a host of positives such as better outcomes minimal risk and faster recovery.
Moreover, the success rate of laser piles surgery is very high, relative to the other procedures. If you elect to undergo the laser piles treatment in Bangalore, you will feel less pain in comparison with the other conventional surgical procedures. Besides, the level of safety associated with laser surgery is significantly higher that traditional surgical options, both in terms of minimal risks and complications like bleeding. The cost of piles laser surgery can be quite reasonable if you decide to stay in a general ward if your condition is not very severe.
Besides, laser surgery is associated with less post-treatment care. This is because the risk for complications such as bleeding is greatly minimized, while the recovery period is also significantly reduced.
At goficure, we bring the following benefits to patients suffering from hemorrhoids or piles.
- Connect you with some of the best specialists in this field for piles treatment in Bangalore.
- Offer a complete solution right from scheduling an appointment at a hospital, to consultation and surgery.
- Handle and process your insurance claim once the procedure is completed
- Offer you a highly discounted consultation fee.
- Offer piles laser surgery as an outpatient procedure, and this will further reduce the cost of laser surgery.
- Schedule follow-up appointments with your surgeon.
- Monitor your post-operative care that also takes care of your daily nutrition, medications, recovery and lifestyle modifications.
Subscribe to free FactDr newsletters.
If you're enjoying our website, we promise you'll absolutely love our new posts. Be the first one to get a copy!
Get factually correct, actionable tips delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
We hate spam too. We will never share your email address with anyone. If you change your mind later, you can unsubscribe with just one click
Help Others Be Fit
- Chymoral Forte
- Meftal Spas